Chapter 4

James' POV

"We've reached out to Luna Rossa, the Crescent Howlers, and a few other packs, but the trail is dead. Percy and Riley vanished." Noah updates Kristin and me.

"We need to continue to monitor the situation. We need to continue to be vigilant, and keep up border control. Something tells me he's not gone for good, he is planning something. Kristin I know you have been training the new recruits, I will check on them later this week."

"Yes Alpha, we have many promising wolves. Our warriors continue to impress me everyday." "Good. We also need to keep an eye on rouge camps to make sure they aren't banding together or working with Percy."

Noah begins to go over the information we have on rogue camps. A cool sweat breaks out across my skin, and my heart rate quickens. My clammy hands grip the arm rests of my chair as I try to refocus on what Noah was saying. The beating of my heart drowns out his words, concerned I reach out to Ezra.

'What's wrong? What's happening to me?'

'It's not you, it's Penny. There's something wrong with our mate.' Ezra yells out in my mind.

I quickly excuse myself and allow the mate pull to guide me to my mate. I run to find her in the kitchen crying pulling at her hair looking around frantically. As soon as she sees me she runs over to me. Her shaking hands clutching at my shirt.

"Take a deep breath." I say as I quickly survey her for any physical injuries, "Tell me what is wrong. It'll be okay just tell me." I try to calm her nerves, and rub her arms.

"They're gone. I was making them lunch," as she motions towards the sandwiches I realize she meant the twins, "I turned around and they were gone. Percy must've gotten them." I held my mate as I reached out towards Ezra. He was on edge because of Penelope's distress, but didn't sense any other danger. I quickly took a step back from Penny and smell the air looking for the twins' scent. Grabbing her hand I quickly run down the hall, and towards the back door. We race outside to see our two giggling ten-year-olds playing in the mud. When they look towards us, their smiles quickly change to frowns as they see their mother and I. Penny quickly ran towards them scooping them up in a hug thanking the Moon Goddess. I however was standing their with a stern look on my face.

We have told them numerous times not to run off, but with it being the tenth anniversary of Wren's murder and Riley's kidnapping tensions are high. I know Penelope wanted to wait to talk to them about everything that happened, but she can't keep putting herself through this stress. After she settled her nerves, and released the twins from the hug I call her over. I pull her into a hug surrounding her with my scent to help calm her wolf

"Sweetheart, why don't you clean up and take a break. It might be good to talk to Ella. I will get the twins cleaned up and fed."

"Are you sure? I thought you had a lot of meetings today."

"I've already attended the most important ones, I'll have Noah finish up the budget meetings. You deserve time to relax, so go enjoy yourself."

Penny walked off, I hope she talks to Ella because she is experiencing so much stress. I walk over and scoop up my two muddy pups. They giggle as I throw them over my shoulders. Taking them inside I drop them off each in a bathroom with instructions to wash up and meet me in the kitchen for lunch. I go to the kitchen and cut up some fruit to go with the sandwiches. I bring three plates to the table as I think through what I am going to tell them.

Rose comes bouncing down the stairs and slides into her chair smiling as she takes a big bite of her sandwich. Rose is are spunky ball of fire, while William is more serious. He walked over to the table and sat down while giving me a suspicious look. Instead of digging into his foot he interlocks his fingers and rests his chin on them and stared straight at me. I quickly break eye contact, nervous at what I had to tell them.

"Is mom okay?" He is always so serious acting older than his age, but when his lip quivered while asking about his mom I remember he is just ten. My heart sank as I look at my two innocent children, knowing they have the weight of the world on their shoulders, they just don't know it.

"Yes, she is. There is just something you need to know about the past, and your mom's past." I pause as I watch Rose set her sandwich down staring at me intently. "Growing up she lived with a bad man," I was going to tell them about the kidnapping, but decided to wait until they are older. "Your mom sometimes worries about him, so when you run off and she doesn't know where you are she gets worried. So I just need you two to not run away, and let your mom and I know where you guys are."

They both nodded and went back to eating their sandwiches. They didn't ask questions, but I could see it in their eyes. They were worried, but not as worried as I was about the future.

See you next Sunday!