Chapter 5

Author's Note

I am sorry for missing the last two Sundays, I have been out of town with family. I am hoping to continue with Sunday updates. Please let me know what you think!

Rose's POV

    I take a long drink before wiping off the weight bench. Beads of sweat continue to roll down my body, all following their own path a few being stopped short with a swipe of my hand. Once the weight bench was clean I threw the towel in the bucket by the door. I set off for a light jog home. I prefer to do combat training with Kristin or another Warrior, but I was glad to be done with my workout. The jog from the training grounds to the pack house is only five minutes. Leaving my earbuds in I make a stop quick in the kitchen to fill my water bottle before going to shower. The tap on my shoulder sent me jumping. I turn a throw a quick jab into the air. William ducked out of the and held his hands in the air.

    "Hey, calm down, I just needed to talk to you."

    "Why would you sneak up on me like that? I could've hurt you." I lightly punched him in the arm.

    "In my defense you can't really sneak up on werewolves unless they are distracted, and in my defense I didn't see the earbuds." he smiled sheepishly.

    "It's all good. What's up? Aren't you supposed to be visiting Nancy?" he started to speak, but I cut him off, "Oh that reminds me, I made cookies for you to take over to her." I rush over to the tin I had setting out.

    "Is there anyway you could take them to her yourself? I know that I said I would visit her this week, but I promised mom I would help prepare things for our first shift." He trailed off not knowing what to say.

    "That's fine. I'll go shower then visit Nancy. Go help mom, Goddess knows she needs it." I started to walk towards the stairs, but stopped short, "Have you noticed how mom and dad have been super stressed about this birthday."

    He nodded, "Yeah I-"

    "I know it's crazy. I know in the human world the 'sweet sixteen' is a big deal, and yes it is the first time werewolves shift, but I don't know why they are so stressed."

    "It's confusing-"

    "It is. Maybe when you're helping mom today you can try to figure out what's going on," he nods, " Okay, I'm going to shower."

    I run off quickly showering, so I can visit Nancy. Even though werewolves heal extremely fast, have higher immune systems, and can survive ailments that would kill most humans, we aren't immune to aging and the diseases that come along with it. They aren't as severe as those experienced by humans, but a small few still experience them. Sadly, Nancy is one of the unlucky were who has developed dementia. We all try to visit her at least once a week, but it can be really hard on my parents when she is stuck in the past.

Grabbing the tin of cookies I head to the small assisted living facility towards the center of town. I sign in and make my way to her room. I knock on the door and wait as I hear her shuffling towards the door. She quickly opened the door and welcomed me in with open arms. One hand was clutching her bejeweled cane while the other was clutching my wrist pulling me to the floral chairs in the sitting area. As soon as we sat down she reached out for the tin in my hands.

"Oooo Penny, did you bring my the cookies I like?" a pained smile crossed my face, but I just nodded as I opened the tin. "How have you and Jame's been?"

At this point I'm cursing William. William may look just like our father but his reddish hair sets him apart. I, however, look just like our mom. There have been a few times where Nancy mistook me for our mom, but it has been happening even more recently. I love visiting Nancy, but it is always emotionally draining.

"We've been good." I say smiling tightly,

"You don't have to lie. I know it has been difficult for you sense what happened with Wren and Riley, but the twins will be okay."

I try to keep my face neutral, but I have no idea what to do. This is the first time she has mentions William, and me when she thought I was my mom. I have also never heard anyone talk about Wren and Riley, and I want to know more.

"Yeah it has been difficult," she just nodded, "especially with what happened with Wren, and Riley..."

"It was awful." I nodded and she continued, "It was awful. I mean who could just kill a new mother like that," shock was clearly written on my face, "Oh, I'm so sorry, how insensitive of me. I knew she was a friend of yours. Have there been any leads on Riley. I do hope they find him."

"Yeah, we're looking for them." I give her hope, but I know they never found him because I don't know any Rileys.

We continue to talk, and after an hour or so I leave with more questions then I came with. I quickly run home to find William.