nine

Hours later, Brielle found it hard to concentrate on the T.V. in front of her, which was not something that was usually not difficult for her. She couldn't stop thinking about Luke -- specifically the ex girlfriend he mentioned. She remembered him telling her about a friend who experienced the same thing as Brie but he never used the word girlfriend. And for some reason it was bothering the hell out of her.

Since Luke had invited her to his match, Brielle always was suspicious that Luke only took an interest to her out of sympathy. And she still felt that way. The main reason she gave him her number was to test this. It's not that she necessarily would've minded Luke's company anyway, although she didn't like the feeling that people were only pretending to like her because they felt bad for her.

Although, after today, the only feeling she felt was confused. And she didn't like that either.

On top of all of this, she also had something else to worry about. The next day was a very important day for Brielle and she wasn't even remotely ready.

Soon after she had returned home from the failure of the little get together between her and Luke, she received a call from an unfamiliar phone number. She almost didn't pick it up, but thank god she did as it was from the smoothie shop telling her she got the job.

\\

"Hello?" She hesitated, expecting some automated message to start playing.

"Uh, hey," The boy greeted, as if he was talking to a friend. "Is this the girl that stole the Chanel bag?"

"What? Who the hell is this?" Her eyebrows furrowed in confusion even though he couldn't see.

"Um, I'm Calum. I was just kidding about the uh, bag thing. Are you Brielle?"

"Yeah. Who's Calum?" 

"Oh, uh, sorry. I probably shouldn't have expected you to know me by my name," He chuckled, but just as when they first met in the smoothie shop, it didn't seem convincing. "I'm from Planet Smoothie. I was calling to let you know you got the job."

"Are you serious?

\\

She was surprised since it was only the next day, and well, she usually wasn't called back after applying anywhere.

But she was grateful, to say the least. Obviously, the pay wasn't going to be abundant, but this was an opportunity to make some money of her own and show her parents that she was capable of working. And so she didn't wanna fuck it up.  She didn't really have any reason to be nervous, but she couldn't help it. It was her first job and she wanted everything to go perfect.

They asked her to start the next day since one of their employees had quit and they could use an extra hand. This didn't help her nerves at all, since it didn't even give her a full day to prepare.

Thankfully, her phone rang a familiar tone which interrupted her thoughts. She glanced down at it to read Sam's name on the screen. She smiled a bit, knowing that Sam could probably calm her down. She hadn't talked to her for a while - well, it was only about 24 hours but that was an extremely long time to be without contact with each other, for them.

"Hiya, beb," She greeted her with the name they called each other frequently.

"Hey, where have you been?" Sam asked, and Brielle was a bit taken back by the demanding tone.

"What do you mean?"

"I came to your apartment last night but you weren't there." 

"Oh, I was with a friend. Didn't I tell you?" She questioned, referring to when Brielle had to decline plans with Sam to go to Luke's match.