eleven

Brielle's first day had gone exceptionally well, despite how worried she was that everything was going to go wrong. She managed to make it through her shift without having a panic attack, and whenever she made a mistake or she did something wrong Calum or Savannah was there to reassure her that it was fine.

She grew pretty close to her co-workers in the past few hours, actually. They welcomed her with open arms and made her feel extremely comfortable. She was heartened by the way Sav and Calum joked around -- they didn't take everything 100% seriously and she wouldn't have to worry too much about being solemn.

The shop had just closed and the three of them were currently sitting in the break room, all sipping on their Lemon Twist Strawberry smoothies. Brielle had worked an eleven hour shift (although thank god she wouldn't always have to work that long since more people were getting hired) and was absolutely exhausted.

"So how did your first day go?" Savannah spoke up, breaking the silence.

"It was good. Kind of fun, actually."

"Yeah, well, of course it's fun. You've got us." Savannah motioned her hands towards Calum, who then shot Brielle a goofy smile.

"True," she replied, smiling back at Calum. "How long have you guys both worked here? You seem so comfortable with each other."

"We've both worked here for around 4 months. We got hired at the same time. I knew Calum way before we started working, though."

"Oh, that's cool. For how long?" Brielle asked, although she had a feeling that Savannah and Calum had been friends for a long time. The bond they had didn't seem to be one that could be developed in four months.

"Since High School." Savannah smiled softly and Brie could tell that she was happy to have known him that long.

"Aw, that's awesome."

"Eh, not really. She was worse in High School," Calum joined in, although he avoided eye contact with Savannah who was now glaring at him.

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?!" she exclaimed, giving Calum a small shove, which resulted in Calum falling into a fit of laughter.

Brielle attempted to join in with Calum, although was interrupted by a vibrating sensation coming from her pants. She pulled her phone out to reveal a new message:

from: sammy: hey are you still at work? i came to your apt thinking you'd be off by now

Brielle slightly gasped, realizing she had completely forgotten all about her plans with Sam. Even though she tried to cover her surprisement, her two co-workers seemed to have notice.

"Is something wrong?" Calum asked, his joking tone now turned serious.

"Oh, no. I just realized I made plans for tonight," she answered, as she started to gather her work clothes she had recently changed out of in one hand, and her smoothie in the other.

"Aw, really? I was kind of hoping we could all do something," he admitted, and Brielle had to admit she felt honored that he already wanted to hang out with her outside of work, even though they technically had only knew each other for one day. But there was no way she could ditch her best friend for a boy a second time.

"Oh, maybe tomorrow? To be fair, we did spend all day together."

He gave her a sad smile as he watched her walk out of the room. "Okay."

\\

Brielle couldn't help but feel nostalgic once Sam's car pulled into the same bowling alley they had spent multiple nights at when they were younger. This building was pretty much the highlight of her teenage years. It was the one place they would go after dances, football games, or whenever they just needed to get out.