Chapter 28

Sansa

Sansa had just left Tyrion's room, after feasting on duck and other delectable foods. She carried herself to her cold and empty room. Laying in bed, she imagined Korb with her. Married for three months, and he was already taken from me. Sansa had become almost numb to her loneliness, she placed her hands on her belly, smiling through the stinging pain of tears.
"I have you." She smiled, as she felt a sharp kick from the child inside her. She pulled the silky sheets over her body, too tired to undress. She slipped into a deep sleep, for the first time in a while, without any essence of nightshade.

Another month had passed. Jon and Erid's babe was beginning to coo and squeal in delight, but Sansa still hadn't given birth. The midwife told her it was normal, but she was beginning to worry. She felt her child kicking and moving, but it didn't seem to want to leave. She was struck with worry every day the child refused to come.

Sansa woke up to her mattress soaked, a sharp wave of pain clawing in her abdomen. Like an ocean wave, she felt it roll through her body, the pain climaxing then receding. The night was dark, making her unable to see in her bedchamber. She howled in pain, hoping to bring someone in to help her, and did not stop until she heard the thunking of footsteps down the hall. Tyrion threw the door open, a torch in his hand. He lit the other torches in the room and rushed to Sansa's side.
      "Are you in labor?" Tyrion spoke, Sansa nodded quickly, as another contraction rolled through her, bringing on a cry of pain.
      "I'm going to get Samwell and the midwife, I'll be right back for you." Tyrion hobbled down the hall, calling for Samwell. Sansa laid in bed, clawing at her sheets and trying to stifle her cries of pain to no avail. Samwell reached her first.
      "Essence of nightshade?" Samwell asked, extending a cup to her. She took the cup from his hands and quickly drank, choking on the liquid because of another contraction.
The midwife reached her next, examining her.
      "No. The baby is not coming yet. You'll have to go through another hour or even more of labor."

A new twisting pain took over her body. Sansa gripped her sheets, whimpering. She looked up to Samwell.
      "Please. Fetch Lord Tyrion." She begged, as she felt the twisting pain once more. The midwife examined her, lifting her gown.
      "You have to start pushing soon." The midwife spoke, nodding to Samwell for him to be prepared. Samwell nodded back, rushing out the door to fetch Tyrion. The clamor of two sets of footsteps called out in salvation, as she had just began to push. Tyrion rushed to her side.
      "Lady Sansa, you requested me?" His face and voice were groggy from sleep.
      "Please..." She whispered, holding her hand out, as Tyrion placed his own hand in hers. She began to squeeze with every push she took, a sharp ripping pain caused her to scream out in pain. She felt weak. Her vision was blurry and her limbs lacked their usual strength.
      "She's losing blood." The midwife called, trying to sop up the loss of blood with rags. She heard the wail of her child, as she turned her head weakly. Her eyes scanned the room lazily. She was so cold. She could hear Tyrion call her name, she could see her baby boy and feel him placed on her chest, but she couldn't respond.
      "We need to sew her up now!"
Sansa blacked out.

When she opened her eyes, she was laying down in soft green grass. The sun was shining on her, filling her body in warmth. She sat up silently, spotting the weirwood tree in the distance. She did not remember walking to it, only knowing she must. She approached the large tree, feeling the presence of someone else. From behind the weirwood tree, the familiar head of black curly hair approached her.
      "Korb?" Sansa whispered, placing a hand on his cheek. He smiled in return, placing his hand on hers.
      "You did well, my love."
Tears brimmed her soft blue eyes, she hugged her husband as her body shook with sobs.
      "Our son..."
      "Your brother will raise him well, alongside his daughter." Korb wiped the tears from her eyes. "You did well. I'm so proud of you." He smiled, Sansa looked up to him.
      "I've missed you so much." She cried, throwing her arms around him. Korb hugged her, leaning down towards her ear.
      "It's not your time yet, my love."