IV: Zylphia Satim

As it turned out, no, there was not anything for anybody else to say that night.

Luce fell asleep a few hours later with a frown. Helena was already sawing logs when Luce tried to slip into slumber. She couldn't help but think back to how unsuccessful tonight had been. So far, all she knew was that Carys was mean, S.M. wasn't into her rude behavior, and Tanith hated talking about herself. That wasn't enough to truly begin the foundations for a longstanding and happy friendship.

When Luce awoke the next morning, there was a familiar face standing above her. Lianna waved as Luce shook herself awake. "Hey," Lianna smiled.

"Hi," Luce said in shock, swinging her legs over the side of the bed. "What are you doing here?"

"I was dropping off your stuff. I had to practically force your father to stay at home so he wouldn't drag you back to the fort," Lianna giggled. She set down a large suitcase beside Luce's bed as the teenager rubbed at her eyes.

"Thanks," Luce grinned. "I'm glad to see you here."

"I couldn't stay away... Especially not when you're staying in my old dorm from my time at Alitia," Lianna told her. "I didn't sleep in this room of the apartment though. I was in another branch. I don't think it matters much now. The point is, I brought your stuff, and I hope you have a nice time today. I'll be seeing you next time you're home, alright? Also, if you ever need anything, don't hesitate to call."

"Thanks, Lianna. That means a lot to me." Luce rose to her feet and pulled Lianna into a hug.

"It's my pleasure," Lianna assured her. "Well, I should be on my way back. I'll see you later."

Luce waved as Lianna crept out of the room to avoid waking Helena, who was still curled up with her pillow. Luce watched as Lianna disappeared from view before starting to unpack her suitcase.

A quick glance at her phone indicated it was just before seven. She probably had some time to settle in before orientation later in the morning. The others probably wouldn't be awake for an hour or so. That was fine with her. She had always needed a little quiet time to herself. No matter how social she got, Luce required a few minutes alone with her thoughts to keep from strangling somebody out of her natural social frustration.

She began setting her clothes in the drawers Helena's things didn't occupy. She set out a pair of jeans and a loose t-shirt for when she was ready to get dressed. It was probably best if she prepared herself for the day sooner rather than later, as there were eight girls in the apartment sharing one bathroom. She didn't know who had come up with that, but she wanted them fired for their poor decision-making choices.

Luce hummed to herself as she shoved her suitcase under the bed a few minutes later once she was satisfied with her unpacking. She grabbed a picture she had propped up moments before on her bedside table. She glanced at it fondly.

It was a picture of her with the rest of the mercenaries. Her father was in the back with one hand on her shoulder. Lianna was standing on the other side of Luce. The twins were in front of her alongside Lewith and O'Rourke. They had taken it a year before after accepting O'Rourke into their company as the final mercenary for the time being. It meant a lot to Luce whether she chose to admit it or not.

Luce hadn't ever known any of her family members aside from her father. The other mercenaries in the company had acted as substitutes for many years. They meant the world to her.

Luce decided now was probably a good chance to take over the bathroom. She wouldn't take long since she hadn't ever been fond of makeup and only needed to get dressed. She seized her clothes and started for the bathroom with a hum.