XXXVII: Aunt and Niece

Luce stared at Cessair in shock, her eyes as wide as could be. "I'm sorry, what?" she asked. Cessair couldn't really be serious, right? If she was the child of the Possession Master, that would mean Cessair was Cryon's younger sister. From there, Cessair could be declared as Luce's aunt, which was enough to make Luce's head spin. She had been spending all this time with someone she considered a friend, completely unaware that they were related, and it was through one of the most disgusting men to ever draw breath in the dimension. She wanted to throw up just thinking about it.

"It's true... I didn't hear about it for a long time, and only Severine knows about it aside from me, and now, you. You know, I'm adopted. Severine and I aren't related by blood. She was friends with my parents, who were researchers. After they died in an accident, we found a letter they left behind about my past. If something was to happen to them, I was to read the letter and learn the truth about who I am," Cessair began to explain.

"Then what did the letter say?" Luce asked. She could feel herself starting to shake. How could all of this be happening?

"It said that my mother was found once, years ago, by the Possession Master, or as the letter called him, the heir to the Thanatos line. The father I was raised by was her husband, but he was not my father. I had the Blessing of Moonlight through him, though it's rather weak, not allowing me much of an advantage in battle," Cessair replied.

"That's... It makes sense, now that I'm hearing about it. I mean, back when we first started talking, we got zapped upon making contact for the first time. That's because I have Starlight and you have Moonlight. Even if I have both, Starlight is the dominant of the two, meaning it shows itself around other people... I didn't think about it until now, but it makes a lot of sense," Luce murmured.

"I wasn't planning on telling you, to be perfectly honest. I've never met anybody else with the Blessing of Moonlight through him, even if I know there are a lot of people like that. Since I never met anyone, I figured I could keep the secret to myself, but... I know you now, and since you're like me, you should know that you're not alone in hating that man. He's caused people like us so much pain," Cessair sighed, shaking her head.

"Do you think there's anything the Blessing of Moonlight might help you out with in the fight against the Possession Master?" Luce questioned. "Do you think that other people with the Blessing might be immune to its effects? If he tries to take them over, they may be able to resist it, if they can even be taken over at all, because they have Moonlight. It's hard to take over something with the same power as you, right?"

"If I had to guess, the Possession Master won't be able to take over anybody who has either Starlight or Moonlight. Starlight opposes Moonlight too directly, meaning it wouldn't be effective. If he tried, it would just cause burning the same way you cause burning when you touch him. As for Moonlight, you can't overpower somebody's magic with darkness when they already have that darkness lurking within them. It would be impossible, meaning he can't take over somebody with Moonlight either," Cessair replied.

"That's good to hear then... You're safe from his attacks, and if he tries anything, it won't work. Thank Starlight for that one," Luce sighed, letting out a breath she hadn't even realized she was holding in. This past hour had revealed more about her life and the Possession Master than the entire rest of the year, and it was starting to catch up with her.

"I'm glad you're concerned about me, but you really don't need to freak out too much. I know what I'm doing, Luce. I'm not an Alitia student, but I can enroll soon, and once I'm old enough, you bet I'll be applying. I can protect myself. I wouldn't be here if that wasn't the case," Cessair assured Luce, placing a hand on her shoulder. As soon as they made contact, there was a zapping sensation, causing Cessair to yank her arm back. "My bad. I guess I'm a bit more forgetful than we thought."