XIII: Birth of the Universe

The next morning, Luce didn't speak with her roommates at all before going to class. Everyone was too tired to try and force a conversation at such an early morning hour. Luce was normally an early riser, but it was clear that her roommates did not follow such a schedule, so she didn't force them into a chat.

Unfortunately, she got the feeling she wouldn't be seeing any of them for a while. There had been a last-minute switching of classes that took S.M., who had previously been in her first class on their second day rotation, out of the period and put her into another one. In other words, Luce was going to be alone, though this was thankfully the only class that applied to.

Luce shuffled her feet as she walked into her history class. She wasn't the first one in there, as a few clumps of chatting students had already formed. She saw students from her metamorphosis class the day before give her weird looks, but she rolled her eyes and pressed on to her seat as if nothing was happening.

Luce slid into her desk and put her head in one hand. With a yawn, she closed her eyes, unsure of if she was ready for the day ahead of her. After all, the day before had been a straight disaster in her perspective with all of the explosions. She was halfway excited for the end of the day, as it meant that she could spare a moment to talk to Alistair. Since she had made plans with her friends the day before, she hadn't been given the chance to research her magic with him. To make up for that, she planned to head to the library to look into her powers further once the day had come to a close.

She reached into her backpack and pulled out her phone not long after. She didn't have any texts yet, which was halfway surprising to her. Lianna and her father woke up just as early as she did, if not earlier, but they hadn't sent her anything. Now was hardly the right time to call Cryon and tell him she was doing fine in her new environment, as the bell was set to ring any minute. It would be unsatisfying for Luce to hang up on him suddenly like that. She could easily do it later without an issue, so she made a mental note to do so.

Luce thought she was going to slip into slumber once again when the bell pierced the air. The shrill noise startled her from her trance. She let out a sigh and slumped backwards into her desk, wiping one hand across her forehead. She was used to waking up early as a mercenary, yes, but that didn't change the fact that she was susceptible to exhaustion like everyone else. She would have done just about anything to go back to sleep for even just an hour more of rest before the stress of the day.

A pair of figures entered the room shortly after. One was a taller woman while the other was a shorter girl and appeared to be about Luce's age. The woman had curled blonde hair tied back into a lengthy ponytail. She wore a short black and purple dress. A purple collar was around her neck, and from it, a magenta cape hung down to her hips. Her dress had long sleeves as well. She had black tights and purple heeled shoes on her legs and feet. Black gloves completed the look.

As for the younger girl, she had ginger hair reaching her shoulders. Her eyes were brown and full of life from their position behind rounded glasses. She had a black tank top hiding beneath a white shirt that fell off one shoulder. She had a green jacket trimmed with fur on top of that. Her black skirt was pleated and accompanied by tall black socks and brown shoes.

Luce thought partially that the younger girl was a student that had been caught by the teacher walking into class late. She felt loosely bad for anybody who was faced with that sort of punishment, as the teacher seemed to have a severe streak to her as far as Luce could tell.

"Welcome to history, everyone," the woman said instead, acting as if the girl at her side wasn't even there. "My name is Severine Maness. I'll be your history teacher during your time at Alitia. This young woman is my assistant."