XXVII: Return to Amity

The next morning, students rose early to bid farewell to the school and return home. Luce was up with the sunrise, packing a few miscellaneous objects into her bag to go back home. The mercenaries would no doubt be waiting for her, and she wanted to be ready to show off a few things from her school life.

When Luce left her room after saying goodbye to her companions, the teachers were already out on the main lawn. Each one was using minor portal magic to create rifts in the air. While the dimensional openings were not nearly as large or or impressive as Rune's, they got the job done.

There were lines of freshman students being each of the staff members. When they got to the front, they told the teacher where they were going before a rift was opened for them to step through. The older students were able to do this on their own, allowing them to leave the schoolyard much sooner.

Luce decided to enter the line behind Michaela. The light mage didn't have many streamed behind her, making it a perfect destination for Luce. She was silent as the line ambled forward. Barely any sunshine lit the courtyard, making it almost hard for Luce to stay awake after the nightmare of the day before.

"Where will you be going, Luce?"

Luce was shocked out of her thoughts by the sudden question from Michaela. She jumped slightly before turning to her professor. "Hello," Luce finally said once she had her composure.

"I take it you'll be going back to Amity, yes?" Michaela asked as she closed the previous student's rift.

Luce nodded. "Yes... Can you send me somewhere even if it's away from a city?" she questioned hesitantly. It wasn't like she lived near a residential area, and it was impossible to guess where the other mercenaries would be on their mission of the day.

"Of course. I know what I'm doing. Just name the location, and I'll take care of things," Michaela assured her. "It can be anywhere in the dimension, but as long as you have a name for the place, everything will be alright."

"That's good..." Luce murmured. She was glad Michaela knew about portals, because Luce herself was as good as clueless. Rune hadn't explained much of anything, not that Luce expected him to. "Cryon's Landing, please."

Michaela opened another rift before Luce and gestured for her to step through. "Your destination awaits," the teacher said with an easy smile.

"Thank you, Professor," Luce grinned. "I'll see you when break ends."

Michaela nodded and opened her arms for a hug. Luce stepped into the embrace. Michaela's presence was only making her more drowsy. Curse that calming effect of hers.

When Luce backed away a few seconds later, there was a yawn on her lips. "Thanks again," Luce told her.

"It's no problem. Have a nice time," Michaela said, waving to Luce.

The mercenary smiled and began walking slowly towards the rift. She gave Alitia one final glance in the dim sunlight before stepping through the portal to Amity.

~~~~~

When the light around her faded, she was in front of the fort where she had grown up. She looked at the bricks with a small smile before approaching the door. She hit the doorbell with one finger before waiting for someone to come and greet her.

The person to appear on the other side of the door was Lewith Cain. Their once-wild purple hair had been cut into a neat bob similar to Luce's regular style. They wore silver armor plates atop a black shirt with matching trousers. Their boots were black and worn-out. Their pale violet eyes met Luce's, and they gasped. "Is that Luce Elenes?!" they exclaimed.