XV: Foreign Invaders

As hard as it was to believe, the week passed uneventfully in most other ways. Luce had some homework, but it wasn't anything excessive, thankfully. On Saturday, she was sitting in the main area of their apartment with a history book in her hands as she read through a chapter about the founding of Amity, Enmity, and Millennia. Severine wanted it finished by Monday so they could discuss it as a class.

Luce unfortunately hadn't been given a chance to approach Alistair or Cessair to ask about what they knew. She was itching to ask Cessair in Severine's class, but she couldn't do anything about it. Severine insisted on keeping everyone busy a majority of the time, which meant Luce's spare moments were filled with completing assignments or writing down notes. In other words, the universe was going out of its way to keep Luce from learning more about her father, much to her irritation.

"What's the plan for today?" Helena asked as she came out into the main area. She had been hiding in her room up to that point while reading over a text for another class.

"I think it's work on homework and go about life as normal," S.M. replied with a loose shrug.

"I'm already finished with mine," Tanith commented from her place on the couch. "If the circumstances were different, I would hit Millennium City and enjoy the day for myself, but Zylphia will kill me if I even think about leaving campus."

"Didn't she say you can go to the other schools?" Luce questioned.

"Yes, but I don't have a reason to go there. I can't buy any books about legendary figures of Magian history from the other schools. Libraries are restricted to students only, so I can't check anything out either. In a nutshell, I'm royally bored," Tanith sighed.

"Maybe you could help me with my homework instead," Carys suggested with a small smirk.

"Sorry, Carys," Tanith said, shaking her head. "I don't cheat."

Carys huffed and rolled her eyes, understanding her persistence would get her nowhere now that Tanith had made up her mind on the subject.

"It's a shame we can't just go into the city as a group. After we finish up our homework, it would be fun to head out there," S.M. frowned.

"Don't let me hold you back from going out. I can stay here and find something to entertain myself," Tanith sighed.

"Aren't you allowed to leave with a chaperone?" Helena asked next.

"Yes, but everybody's busy. All these attacks... They haven't happened at such a high rate since the War of Starlight over twenty years ago. It has everybody in a panic. Some people are afraid another war is going to break out because of all this," Tanith said with a frown. "Zylphia's busy trying to keep things under control."

"Speaking of attacks, it's odd that none happened this week," Iris remarked. She had been silent up to this point, listening to music until she managed to catch a snippet of their conversation through her headphones. "The last time something did happen, it was before the year started."

"Maybe things are done for good," Sophia said optimistically. She was pulling on a jacket and wrapping a scarf around her neck.

"I doubt it," S.M. sighed. "What are you up to, Sophia?"

"I'm heading into Millennium City. I heard there's a place that serves great coffee, and I want to check it out," Sophia explained.

"I can understand that. Millennium City has some killer restaurants," Tanith smiled.

"How long do you think you're going to be out?" Iris asked.

"Not long. I'd say half an hour at most. I just need something to help me push through all this homework," Sophia explained. "I'll be back as soon as I can. See you guys soon!"