War

So here we are! Book two of the Lupus Antiqua series! You loved Lily and Damien, now prepare to come on the journey with Quinn and Cenric. Let's howl at that moon, everyone! And please remember to show me your love with votes, comments, and shares. Thank you.  <3

"Retreat!" The order came through the pack bonds so loudly that she flinched, her wolf form whimpering as her head lowered towards the leaf-littered forest floor

"Retreat!" The order came through the pack bonds so loudly that she flinched, her wolf form whimpering as her head lowered towards the leaf-littered forest floor. The alpha her father was in trouble. She could hear it in him when he'd given the order to retreat. They had all known it would end like this. Ever since the Alpha of the burning tree pack had declared war on her pack, the mercenary dogs; it had been clear that they were doomed.

She halted and spun around, running at top speeds towards where she knew her father was. No way was she going to let him go down without her. If she was going to die, she was going to die defending her family against those savages.

The burning tree pack was notorious for their cruelty, malice, and lethality. No pack had ever withstood them. Not one. They had taken down six packs already, making them the most dominant in the United States by far. Her pack had merely been next on their list. It was territory they wanted, and they were not afraid to take it by force. Once their Alpha gave the order to attack, you and your entire pack were done. No question.

She came into the clearing at top speed, attacking the first enemy wolf she spotted with a ferocity that took the entire clearing by surprise. Everything had paused for a second before the fighting resumed. She took the enemy down easily and moved on to the next one.

The closer she got to her father the bigger the enemy wolves got and the harder it was to take them down. She was gaining respect though because very soon she was standing over her father's fallen body. He was still alive, but just barely. His state enraged her, and she let out a snarl she wasn't sure how she'd managed. The clearing was littered with the bodies of her pack's elite. Their pack was done, she knew this, and yet she refused to leave her father to die at the hands of these invaders. She stood in a guard position over father, snarling at all of them, her muzzle wrinkled back exposing all of her teeth; ears flat back against her head, signaling her rage.

She knew that her wolf was in total control right now, but she let her have her way. She was in complete agreement with what they were doing right now. What had their pack done to bring down the Moon Goddess's wrath? Her pack, despite its name, had always lived honorably. They were mercenaries, yes, but they followed the old ways, only taking jobs to dispatch insane wolves or depose abusive Alphas.

The burning tree pack's elite was standing in a semi-circle around her, staring. Some of them were yipping and shaking with the desire to attack her. None of them had, though, which could only mean that they had been ordered not to. That meant their alpha was surely nearby.

Sure enough, the Wolves parted ways, for the biggest wolf she'd ever seen. He was so big he dwarfed her, which was very impressive, considering that she was as large as a full-sized male alpha. That was rare in a female, but her mother had been born of Alphas, and her father was an Alpha from a long line. It was no wonder her wolf was strong. She'd impressed them. That much was clear from the savage Alpha's appraisal of her. He moved forward and her growling became more intense, challenging.