The Legend

The Native American legend of the rainbow warrior was found here: http://www.manataka.org/page235.html That story is not of my own creation and credit for it should go to the Cree Tribes.

She was startled to wakefulness by a deep rumbling growl

She was startled to wakefulness by a deep rumbling growl. She sat up and looked around blearily. It was 3 a.m. She didn't need to be up to greet the dawn for hours yet. The growl that woke her sounded through the dark cabin again, and she turned over to find it was coming from Cenric. She cocked her head, waking up a bit more.

His brow furrowed and all of his muscles were tense. Something told her that it wasn't just a nightmare. The feeling of dread hanging over him was overwhelming. It wasn't a bad dream. It was a horrific one. She shook him gently, trying to wake him.

"Cenric! Wake up." A vicious growl ripped from his throat, and he sat stock straight, breathing fast and cumbersome. "Cenric?" He didn't so much as twitch at her voice. Was he even fully awake? She shook him, but there was no response. She felt deep down that startling him out of it would be bad. She moved, so she was straddling him, blushing at this close contact with her mate. She wrapped her arms around his neck and pressed her lips to his. For a moment, there was no response, and then he was furiously kissing her back. He was devouring her with his kiss, sending her heart racing.

There was an animal fury to his kiss that told her the man still wasn't present. The Wolf in him sensed the connection and latched onto it trying to pull Cenric out. Finally, it worked. He stopped completely and jerked.

"Quinn?" His eyes were questioning, his hands framing her face.

"You were having a bad dream." She murmured. He looked away from her and she leaned in and kissed his neck. She wasn't usually so demonstrative but his wolf had done a good job of softening her up, and she had no desire to move. He hissed a little when her teeth brushed the skin where she would mark him if things progressed well between them. He whirled her around so she was on her back and he was on top of her; hungry, dominant.

"Quinn, you woke me up like that?" His hand wandered over her stomach, and down to her hips, building an ache deep inside her. She bit her lip and he leaned forward to catch it in his own, kissing her half senseless.

"Worked didn't it?"

"You woke more than just me." He growled. He meant the bond between them.

"I know." She whispered.

"Why if you did not want it? Yesterday did not end well." His hand ceased wandering as his expression grew serious. She was grateful. Her mind was beginning to function at the speed of molasses. Her wolf whined inside her head, thumping it's tail in frustration.

"Just because one day was bad doesn't mean they would all be. Besides Cenric, it was never me who didn't want this."

"This?" She raised an eyebrow and brought her legs up around his waist, arching her back into him. It was a vulnerable position and she put herself in it on purpose. Their blond flared between them making them both breathe a bit faster.