The Day After

Quinn hadn't moved until her pack was ash on the ground

Quinn hadn't moved until her pack was ash on the ground. It took quite a long time, but she'd kept the vigil and brought honor to them. Quinn hadn't fidgeted, walked away, or taken a seat. She'd stood at attention until their physical shells were gone.

She could feel the strength of their spirits within her, surrounding her. If Drayven had any honor at all her new mate would have stood by her during the vigil. But he didn't know the old ways, and he had eaten and laughed with his pack next to the pyre. She was disgusted by his behavior. She glanced over at him and couldn't help the bile rising in her throat. 'Unworthy' she thought.

He was telling everyone the logistics of the move into this territory because of its central location. His territory had advanced so much so, that his original pack lands no longer sufficed. He'd outgrown them. Quinn was relieved she didn't have to move. She'd be stronger on her ancestral land. Drayven looked at her.

"Show us the way to the pack house." She kept her face stoic and began walking in the right direction, ignoring the protocols. If her father had been the one to ask she'd have bowed her head and responded 'yes alpha.' Drayven had none of her respect. He caught up with her quickly and grabbed her arm. She halted and turned cold eyes on him.

"Was there something further?" She asked.

"You do not grieve or cry. It is unnatural for a female." Was he concerned? The irony of that struck her as hypocritical. He hadn't cared about that when he'd been breaking bread and joking around with his men while her family burned; rubbing his lack of respect for the dead in her face.

His men were watching the exchange in fascination. She'd already earned some respect from them, she knew. Most of them had stopped messing around and moved about in respectful silence during her vigil.

"My grief is no business of yours since you are its cause. If I ever cry, you will never know it." She wrenched her arm out of his grasp with a low growl and continued to the pack house. No one was following her. "Keep up men!" She yelled over her shoulder. After some hesitation they did, Drayven moving next to her again, not about to be seen walking behind his Luna.

They came to the pack house quickly. It was small since her pack had been small. She could tell Drayven was disappointed by it.

"Is that all?" He growled.

"There were only fifteen of us. What were you expecting, a mansion?" She raised an eyebrow at him. He'd seen the place last night when he'd been following her around. It didn't look that different at night.

"We'll need to build on. " Drayven said, directing the comment to his beta, a large male with blond hair and blue eyes. The man nodded, but he was also in pain. She saw some bad claw marks on his side and knew, without a doubt, she'd been the one to deliver them.

"What's your name Beta?"

"Kyle." He said. She noted he'd answered without looking to Drayven first with satisfaction. She was already winning them over.