Chapter Four

David's PoV

I stared at Mollie walking away. I must've zoned out because the next thing I knew, my friend Adam was waving his hand in front of my face.

"Hello? Earth to David," he was saying. I shook my head. "Sorry. I must've zoned out," I muttered, still not taking my eyes off of Mollie. Then she turned and our eyes connected for a split second. Something clicked, but I don't think either of us knew what it meant. Then she turned back around and started walking back to wherever she was going. As I was watching her, I noticed that she had cuts on her arms and legs. She was also gripping her arm like it hurt, and she was walking with a slight limp. What happened? I wondered.

"Geez, David, you've got to get over her," one of my other friends, Kafer, said.

"I don't have a thing for her! Please," I begged, "get that out of your mind!" Adam leaned toward Kafer and said something that Kafer agreed with because after that Adam's lips stopped moving. Kafer frantically nodded and said something about how he had to go somewhere and that he'd be right back. I watched them walk away and fade into the growing crowds of students milling around to get to classes on time.

--------------------------------------------6 HOURS LATER-------------------------------------------

The day was almost over. I was in my Algebra III class and the teacher was droning on and on about numbers and adding and blah, blah, blah. Mollie, who was sitting next to me, looked like she was about to pass out. Her face was really pale and she was still clutching her arm. Most of the bruises had faded; only the cuts remained.

Suddenly I felt hot and the air was stuffy.

"Is it just me or is it really hot in here?" I blurted out, interrupting the teacher in the middle of her lecture on how not to fall asleep during class, as one of the kids had done.

"What?" the teacher asked me.

"I said, is it just me or is it really hot in here?"

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

I paused long enough to say, "Oh, shoot."