Chapter Eight

David's PoV

"Guys, please," I begged, tears forming in my eyes. "Just let me go."

Adam, my most faithful friend, reluctantly let go of me. The second he did, I dashed off toward the school, hearing Kafer say "What was that Adam? You just let him go!" Adam said back, "I had to, he's my friend!"

I found a door that wasn't scorching and pushed. It wouldn't budge. There was probably something blocking it, like a chair or a desk. I backed up a couple of feet, ran, and threw myself against the door. "Oof!" The door was knocked off its hinges. Apparently, the fire had weakened them, but knocking down the door also weakened me. I stumbled through the smoke and blistering heat. Finally, after hard work and newly blistered hands, I reached the Algebra III classroom. When I looked inside, though, I almost threw up.

Mollie was in a chair as Rose had said, but a badly burned wooden beam was on top of her and the ropes tying her hands had burned away. I hurried to her. Mollie's face was unnaturally pale and her eyes were closed. Blood was pooled around her and she had many, many bad burns on her arms and legs. Her shirt was almost scorched off. I wondered for a split second if she was dead. No, I scolded myself. No, no, no! She can't be dead. Not yet. Not now!

I pulled the beam off of her, which was surprisingly not hot. When I picked her up, she was really light, like she hadn't eaten in a few days. I was just about to go out the door and take the long way again out through the door in the front when I noticed a window. Carefully setting Mollie down, I grabbed a chair and chucked it through the window. Once I got the glass to shatter, I picked up Mollie again and jumped out the window. Luckily, the window was on the first floor.

As soon as my feet hit the ground, I sprinted away from the burning school. I set Mollie down and checked her pulse. She had one. I knew I would have to act fast performing CPR. 30 pushes, 2 breaths, 30 pushes, 2 breaths. On and on it went until Mollie's eyes opened.