Chapter 10

I woke to the sound of voices. I kept my eyes closed though because I wanted to listen to the conversation; it might be about me.

"--paralyzed. I'm sorry." one voice said. "Are you sure you can't do anything?" This voice sounded suspiciously like my mother. "I'm sorry. The best we can do is keep her in our care and give her physical treatment." It was then that I opened my eyes. I saw my mother and a doctor standing in the corner of the room.

"Oh, sweetie! You're awake!" Mother was speaking to me but I wasn't listening. I was taking in my surroundings. I was in a hospital room; the doctor kind of gave it away. The walls were blue: ugh. The curtains were blue, the floors, the ceiling, everything!

"Mollie, honey? Are you listening to me?" I shook myself out of my stupor. "Yeah, yeah. I'm listening."

"Okay. Yes. As I was saying, you're paralyzed--"

"I'm WHAT?!"

"Paralyzed. It means that you can't move your body from either the hips down or--"

"Yes! I'm quite aware of what paralyzed means! Does this mean that I'll have to have a wheelchair?"

"Yes."

"And what about Father? Is he okay with this?"

"Yes."

"You sure? Because last time--"

"Yes! I'm sure!" Now it was Mother's turn to raise her voice. I hung my head. "Oh, I'm sorry, Mollie. I didn't mean it like that." Then Mother started talking again and I stopped listening to her. Closing my eyes, I drifted off into a deep, nightmare-filled sleep.