Chapter: 16

DAY: 271

Winter Soldier

I stood off down the beach, keeping my eyes peeled and ears alert. I had to stay focused to make sure that we were in the clear. S.H.I.E.L.D. was already aware that Lark was missing, along with Steve and I was sure that they'd be high tailing it over to the camp ground to investigate. Behind me I heard shouting, I heard noise. I turned and watched as two guards ran into the hut where Steve and Lark were being held. I started towards it. That's when I heard something crying out; not something, someone. Lark.

"What's going on?" I called over. A guard came out of the hut.

"Early labor." he said.

"You're sure?" I asked him, I stepped up into the hut, Lark was on her hands and knees, Steve was pulling against his chains to get to her. One of the guards was telling her to breathe.

"Get Treadwatter." the guard said to me.

I took off down the beach to where Alexander was on the runway, going over new rules with the rew recruits. Which was a long ways away.

"Sir!" I called, I slowed.

"Yes, Bucky, what is it?" he asked me, sounding annoyed.

"It's your daughter, sir." I said, catching my breath. "Her labor's started earlier than planned."

"Shit." Alexander and I took off sprinting down the beach, the guards followed after. "Change of plans." I heard him say.

"Was there some way we could have prolonged it?" I asked him.

"No, it's the human body, it comes naturally. We were supposed to induce the labor a few days, once she'd calmed down and we'd gotten her off the grid." Alexander answered.

"Maybe the stress of coming here broke her." I told him.

"You might be right." he nodded. "But then again, she was mostly sedated then, correct?"

"Yes, sir." I answered. Not entierly.

"When we get there, stay back, I'll handle her."

"You think she'll cause a problem, sir?" I asked.

"I know she will, she's my daughter. Born kicking and screaming like a wild animal." he said, I thought I almost saw him grin.

When we reached the hut Lark was standing up, leaning back against the wall of the hut, Steve was sitting down on the floor. Alexander approached Lark, reaching out to her shoulder.

"Don't touch me!" she said, pulling away from him.

"Lark, take it easy." he said to her. Alexander tried to touch her again and she hit his hand away and moved back as far as the chains would allow her to go.

"Don't you dare touch me." she said. She was breathing heavily and she looked tired and worn.

"Lark we have to move you out of this hut, we've got a nice, comfortable, med-bay nearby." he told her, grabbing her chain and pulling her over to him, he pressed his thumb to the cuff and they feel away from the chain.

"No, not without Steve." she said trying to pull back.

"You're coming whether or not he tags along." Alexander hissed at her. He took a tight hold of the cuffs around her wrists and pulled her towards the door of the hut were I was standing. I moved out of the way.

"No! Steve!" Lark tried to fight him.

"Lark! No, stop it!" Steve stood up on his feet and pulled on the chain. I watched it all meltdown, I watched them crumble into shouts for each other, their struggle to be free.

"Don't leave me."

"Never."

I looked from Steve to Lark as she was dragged out of the hut and onto the beach. I stepped out and froze there. I didn't know what I was supposed to do. Was I to let Alexander harm her? Or was I to speak up or say something to him?

"Bucky."

My mind was clouded, I couldn't think straight through anything, not a thing at all. Too many sounds and voices in my head, shouting and screaming at me to think. Then suddenly;

Lark screamed; "Bucky!"