Chapter: 17

DAY: 271

Lark

My father drug me out of the hut and onto the beach. I saw a woman approaching us.

"Marie, take her to the jet to be transported back to the base." he said behind me. Marie? He didn't mean. . . .

"My my, Lark. You're huge." Marie snickered.

"Marie, hurry up and don't dottle." he said.

"What about the hut sir?" she asked, she stopped a few feet away.

"Change of plans. Take her now, before she starts doing anything else."

"Right away, sir." she said. Marie grabbed my arm and pulled me with her down the beach towards the jet that was waiting.

"Miss me  Lark?" she asked. "I certainly missed you."

"Marie, let me go." I said, "Please let me go."

"Oh shut it, you little priss." she spat at me. "I've already had enough of your attitude."

"Why are you doing this?" I asked her.

"Aren't you suposed to be in labor right now?" she asked. "Shouldn't you be screaming or crying?"

"False alarm."

"Clearly." Marie grinned, in triumph no doubt.

Above I could hear the whirring of propellers, the sound of a helicopter nearing.  Marie stopped and turned around. I was right about the helicopter, but there was more coming behind it. And it wasn't Hydra.

"Shit!" Marie swore, she let go of my arms and lifted a gun from her holster, her other lifting to her mouth.

"Sir, we've got a helicopter flying in." she said. But just as she said it, the helicopter opened fire. Marie turned and pushed me to the ground, her body covering mine.

The bullets rained down in the sand for a moment before it all stopped. I lifted my head up, looking around and shoving Marie off of me. I got to my feet just as the helicopter landed on the beach, the other jets flew over. Someone jumped out of the helicopter and so did another. One of them held up a gun and aimed it at me.

"Hands where I can seem 'em!" I recognized the voice. It was Clint's! I lifted my hands up into the air above my head.

"Lark?" Clint lowered his gun and approached, I dropped my hands and walked over to him.

"You're okay." he said. "But man you don't look too hot."

"Steve's in the middle hut, Bucky's probably guarding him." I told Clint. Clint took a small device out of his pocket and set it on the cuffs around my wrists, the cuffs fell off and he picked them up.

"Okay, head to that jet behind the helicopter, we'll meet up there." he said. "I'll go grab Steve and see if cognitive recalibration will work on Bucky or not. First chance you get, buckle in and take off. Don't wait for us, we'll follow you back."

"I will." I wanted it to be a sour lie, but my head told me to listen regardless.

"Stay safe, Lark." Clint said as he took off.

"Alright." I nodded and took off running, as best as any pregnant woman could, towards the jet. I had to be fast, as not to get caught.

"No you don't!" someone grabbed my arm and pulled me around. I screamed at the pain as my shoulder popped back. "Not so fast little sis."

"Let me go!" I shouted.

Braxton spun me around and forced me onto the ground, my back in the sand. He pinned down my legs and took my arm, pulling out a needle. I fought against him, trying to kick him away, pushing him, but it was no use. Braxton was two times bigger than I was and I knew that I wasn't going to knock him off easy. I screamed again; "Help!"