Chapter: 24

DAY: 300

James Buchanan Barnes

Lark and I were both escorted to a new location, a new place for us to live. It was a small home, located somewhere on the hills of the midwest. There was wide open plains, green hills in spring and plenty of room to grow. Lark was told to stay off her feet for several days, in order for her to regain her strength and for her stitches to heal completely. The very doctor who advised us was the same who had Lark stay on the helicarrier several days longer to make sure she didn't do anything stupid.

Natasha stayed with us, giving me and extra pair of hands while I took care of Lark as she healed. The first couple of nights were full of long protests, Lark didn't want to be a burden to anyone; she quickly gave in after she discovered being looked after wasn't as awful as it seemed.

We had to teach ourselves how to do everything. Watching Lark figure out how to breastfeed William was more of a challenge than expected, so was ensuring he wasn't being overfed. No one told us we'd have to give him such small portions to start out. All of us lost sleep, we all seemed to gain a few bags under our eyes. But on those nights where William did sleep, Lark and I enjoyed the peace together, just talking or saying absolutely nothing at all.