Chapter: 20

DAY: 274

Lark

Two days since we left and Bucky closed me off from any news about Hydra. I left the fate of my family to Fury and whatever judicial system he deemed appropriate. Knowing Fury, it wouldn't be pretty either way. I could picture it now, the interrogation processes being conducted under careful eyes and ears, maybe a few beatings now and again to remind them their power was gone. Marie and Braxton, their future seemed clouded, as for my father it almost seemed certain. I didn't want to dwell on death and pain, but just the mere mention of Alexander or Marie or Braxton left me feeling hollow and numb. 

"Lark? You okay?"

I snapped out of it and looked up, Bucky was standing beside me, his hand was on my shoulder. I had completely forgotten where I was and what I was doing. I was sitting in the window seat of the cabin, watching the snow that had started falling about an hour ago, there was a light dusting on the ground.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I answered him. Bucky leaned down and kissed the top of my head.

"Are you sure?" he whispered.

"I'm fine, Bucky. Really." I assured him. Bucky sat down across from me and leaned back against the wall.

"Then tell me what's on your mind. You've been out of it since we got here, I'm worried about you." he said.

"Nothing, I'm okay." I told him again, I folded my arms over my stomach and leaned back, kicking my feet up onto Bucky's lap. I pulled the sleeves of sweater down over my palms and let out a deep breath.

Bucky gave me a look, one that I knew I couldn't ignore. He hands went to massage at my ankles. "You can tell me, it's okay."

I nodded, hesitating to speak right away to allow my thoughts to clear. "I know we're safe out here, far from Hydra and all things evil. But, I can't help thinking about what happened and what will happen to my brother and sister."

"You don't have to worry about them, Fury is taking care of the situation." He said, rubbing down to the sole of my foot. "You know he wouldn't do anything drastic without giving you a heads up first."

"They are both victims, just like me. Manipulated into believing a lie my father spun. They were brainwashed and used, tortured."

"You think they're innocent." He cracked a grin. "As much as you want to forget I know you can't pull yourself away from it."

"Am I that transparent?"

"No." He shook his head, stifling a laugh; "No, in fact, you're one of the hardest people to understand. I've been around you for so long and still there are things I don't understand about you. I know your thought process, I can see where your mind goes when you're quiet, but I can't see what you're thinking or how you can make spontaneous decisions with deep understanding."

"I'm a mystery, Bucky Barnes. I thought you knew that when you walked into my 'shack'." I grinned.

"You've been a mystery since day one and I hope you always stay that way." He smiled.

I was about to open my mouth when something hit the ground thunderously outside, shaking the cabin. Bucky and I both got to our feet and darted out the front door into the snow.

Thor was standing up from kneeling, for just a moment he glowed in a golden light; as it dimmed it revealed his more mundane appearance than Asgardian armor. He wore a heavy coat, jeans, boots and his hair was pulled back. So much more casual than I was expecting.

"Lark, Bucky." he said beaming between the both of us.

"Thor, what on Earth are you doing here?" I asked, walking over to him.