Chapter 1 - Kai

Wassup I'm Kaiden. But mostly everyone I know since I was like six calls me Kai. Im 18 and Im a senior at East Novance High. Im single, aint really been looking even though a few girls try and talk to me. Im not really looking for a relationship right now. My ex, Greyson passed away last year. I loved that girl. She died of a brain cancer that spread to her heart. I held her hand as she closed her eyes and took her last breath. I told her I loved her and I remember her closing her eyes and having a slight tired smile on her face. I'll never forget the last moment I spent with her. No female in this world could ever replace my baby girl. I promised to never give my heart to another. I'll forever be hers. I got her name tattooed on my left arm and our date tattooed on my left ring finger. I was gonna marry that girl. I know she watching over me tho. She promised if she passed away she would be my guardian angel. I know a lot of mf's my age couldn't handle losing they girl but me... Im glad she aint hurting no more. I thought I would be depressed and cry a lot but I really was just glad she wasn't in pain. I spoke at her funeral and kept it together the entire time. Her mom cried on my shoulder the entire service when I sat down. She told me I could come over whenever I wanted and I always do. I go and sit in Greyson's room and lay on her bed remembering everything we had. Looking at all of the pictures of us on her wall. Her room still smells like her. I guess thats why I go over there so much. I miss the smell of her. That sweet vanilla cream and cocoa butter smell all mixed up with some kind of victoria secret perfume... man it got me everytime. I wear the my hoodie we got made for our 1 year anniversary and she was buried in hers. She was the best thing I ever had and she had to leave. Everyone keeps telling me someone special will come along and fill the void in my heart but I dont really have a void and I dont want anyone else right now.

Its 2:30pm, school been out for about 15 minutes and Im still on campus goofing around with my bestfriend Treasure. Being that im the only openly gay stud in ENHS I dont hang around too many other studs... So yea I have a fem bestfriend, but its cool tho, she helps me understand how girls think cause I have no clue what the fuck they be on some times. I swear I was suppose to be a boy. aha. Anyway, Treasure is captain of the cheerleading team and Im captain of the basketball team. People always assume we're dating because she's the only person I hang around with or ride around with. She's like my lil sister. We're the same age but my birthday is before hers.

Practice starts at 4:15pm and it's just now 3:00pm, finna go smash on some Zaxby's. Me & Treasure hop in my 1965 classic mustang. (Gift from Greyson's parents). We ride out to Zaxby's and decide to eat in. We get our food and grab a booth by the window. We sitting and talking til I stop everything Im doing, noticing this girl coming in. Mannn she was beautiful. I dont know why but my heart started racing and my knees got weak. It got hot real fast! Treasure noticed where I was looking and smiled at me. Girl was giving me life! She was a darksin; not that ugly darksin but that darksin that was smooth and pretty, real thick, brown eyed... had on some Pink and Blue galaxy joggers with a white crop top with a pair of galaxy vans on. She was cute I cant lie.

"Moving on?" Treasure says with a smirk on her face.

"Nah, I aint ready yet." I dont know if Im ready for another relationship to be honest. I loved Greyson. How could I find someone else?

"Seem like lil boo over there in the joggers got ya attention, and if im not mistaken you got hers too." she points to the girl who is smiling and staring at me....

I look at Treasure and then back at the girl...

"You think she'll give me her number?" Im just curious.

"Nigga look at you. 5'9, brownskin, dreads and teeth that would blind a blind man, get yo ass over there and quit playing with me" she laughs and eats her food.

"ahhh shutup, I know I look good. " I get up and walk over to the girl who now looks surprised that im approaching her. Gawd... Im nervous.

"Hey Im Kaiden, but you can call me Kai... can I catch your name beautiful?" Yea Im smooth or whatever... ahaaa

"Im Jewelle, nice to meet you Kai." she smiles and blushes..

"I aint never seen you around here, where you from?"

"Im actually here all the time and I've seen you here before but you were always with that pretty lightskin girl."

"oh." I look at the floor.

"whats wrong?" she has a look of concern on her face..

"That pretty lightskin girl..." I get a frog in my throat, Gawd why did I come over here?

"What about her? Yall where cute together. Surprised you're not with her now" She was making a face.

"I would be but..... " what the fuck am I still doing over here???

"But What?"

"She died..." I then look Jewelle in the eyes, holding back all of my tears, turn and walk back to the table where Treasure was now done with her food.

If that wasn't the most humilating thing i've ever done I dont know what was. Like why did I just get so emotinal? Damn it, I need to go to practice and clear my head. Fuck.

Treasure's already aware of what's up with me so she grabs my keys and drives back to the school. We head to the gym in silence until I hear my name being called from behind.. its Jewelle.

"Hey KAI !! " she yells from the parking lot across the campus..

"You following me? You didnt look like the stalking type" I laugh a lil walking towards her. Leaving Treasure to walk by herself. She'll be alright tho.

"Ha-Ha... you're real funny. But I only followed you to apologize."

"Apologize for what? You didnt do anything." I look at her trying to figure out how come she would even waste gas to apologize for something that wasnt her fault. Did I miss something?

"I was rude. It wasnt my place to even talk about that. So Im sorry." She reaches out for a handshake and I laugh smacking her hand down, tapping her on the top of her head before running off to the gym. She yells after me and attempts to run after me. I slow down a bit letting her catch me.

"Im not in the right type of shape to be chasing you." she says in between catching her breath.

"I could get you there." I smirk at her rasing one eyebrow

I dont know why but for some reason I feel like i've met her before. And she acts as if she knows me. Hmmm... I gotta get to know her. But shit its 3:50pm and I got practice in a few.. dont have time to talk now I gotta go warm-up.... damn.

"Hey I got practice right now but im free afterwards. You wanna chill?" I ask pulling out my phone.

"Hmmm, whats your definition of chill?" she raises her eyebrow and laughs

"Nothing like that. We can go get something to eat or just go to my spot and watch a movie, its Friday night you aint got nothing to do in the morning do you?"

"I love how you're planning my weekend and we just met. But I guess we can chill." I give her my phone and she saves her number and I hurry and run to practice before im late.