Chapter Eleven

Don't you find it curious that important events of our lives tend to come in groups? Sometimes nothing happens for weeks, months, or even years, then the world turns upside down in mere days. For me, it was a dusky week in March.

Monday didn't foreshadow any of the huge changes that was going to come. Tuesday however... I walked thru the base to Adri's building so we could have our usual morning coffee, but I found her in a horrible state behind her desk. Her eyes were red of crying and she wasn't far from starting it again.

"What happened, Kitten?" I looked at her scared.

"I broke up with Áron."

"What? Why? When?"

"Last night."

"Why didn't you call?"

"It was... too late... Didn't want to bother. You wouldn't have... been able to help anyway."

At least I would've tried if she let me, and definitely wouldn't have been bothered either, but it wasn't the time to argue.

"Okay, but why did you two break up?"

"Because..."

Someone knocked, and a second later even stepped in the office. It was a dark haired guy, some first lieutenant I had never seen before.

"Adri, could you help me with" he explained with his eyes glued to a dossier in his hand, but he immediately stopped as he looked up. "Uh-oh. I'm sorry. I didn't want to be of inconvenience. I'll come back later."

"You are not bothering us, Bence" Adri told him with a sniffle.

"No-no" he insisted. "It isn't urgent, I can come back in a more appropriate time."

Before Adri could say anything, he disappeared and closed the door behind himself.

"Our new deputy department chief" she answered the question I wasn't going to ask.

"Why did you two break up?" I steered the conversation back to its original track.

"Because... because you came up, and... and Áron asked if I wanted him to get you together with a friend of his, and... when I told him that... that you aren't interested in men... he had an idea."

"Oh" I got staggered. She wasn't my first straight friend whose boyfriend came up with this very idea, but she was the first one, for whom I might've said yes if asked.

"He wanted that the three of us... you know."

"Yup" I nodded. "I figured that out at the 'he had an idea' part."

"I told him, he couldn't think that seriously..."

"Adri..." I cut her mid sentence. "Far be it from me to defend him, but... but it's something that many couples try, to spice their sex life up. I most certainly don't say you should've agreed with it, I know you much better than to believe you'd interested in such thing, but there was no harm in him asking it."

"I think there was" she answered angrily. "Have you done such thing before?"

"Well, not in my own relationship, but..."

"You see!? If he really loved me, why am I not enough for him? Is it possible to get bored with me in a single year?"

"Oh, Kitten" I stepped closer and hugged her. "Of course, it's not possible to get bored with you in a year, or ever. But you dated an asshole, and they think like assholes. Every man fantasizes about doing it with two women, that's just the way they are. Even those who don't say it."