Chapter Sixteen

Couples usually have so many things they can have anniversaries for. The first meet, the first date, the first kiss, the first lovemaking, the day they made themselves official, the day they moved in together, and, yes, of course, the most obvious one, the day of their wedding, which obviously wasn't an option for us. It goes without saying, in longer relationships, most of these lose their importance, but during the burning love period we tend to consider all of these milestones super important. Then as the time goes by, we slowly forget all of them, except for the most important one.

And there is Adri and me, whose first meet was well documented by the Hungarian Army - though they haven't pronounced it an official holiday yet, which I still find scandalous - and every single other thing happened on the same day.

At the age of 27, except for my car and my sportbike my whole life could fit into a minivan, so we didn't need any help to move me in. We brought all my stuff to Adri's as soon as we were able to keep our hands away from each other for longer than 30 minutes. Sure, it didn't actually happened on our first day together, but since I hadn't spent more than an hour in my apartment between getting together, and moving my stuff, I consider myself not living there that time.

There is a stereotype about lesbians, which isn't really known in Hungary. It's the infamous U-Haul thing, that we tend to move in together after the second date. I have zero idea how true this is generally. I've never done such thing, and honestly I don't know any lesbians who did. It isn't true even about us, since we did it after our first date.

Jokes aside, I seriously doubt after knowing each other for five years, U-Haul lesbian would be a fitting description in this case.

Probably it needless to say, we didn't actually confess our relationship, we merely became "roommates". To be perfectly honest, at the moment I couldn't give less shit about confessing it to anyone. Sure I would've wanted to proclaim from the housetop that we were together, but if at the time a zombie apocalypse would had eradicated all the humanity except for us, we wouldn't even have realized it, our blindness for everybody and everything else was so serious.

After the first passionate week unfortunately we had to go back to work. As a personel NCO my very first thing at work was to document my own address change before anyone else puts their hand on those papers, and somehow connects the dots. That would've sparked rumours on the base, and the last thing Adri needed is her coming out not being on her own terms. Of course it needed effort from both of us, but I didn't feel offended because of it. In the last week, I was thinking a little - as unbelievable as it sounds - when I was left alone with my thoughts for a few minutes. About this whole lesbian-straight relationship thing, you know? I can hardly call myself an expert on this topic, as a matter of fact, besides ours, I've only seen two others like this. Both were ended by the lesbian woman's impatience to make their relationship public. Do I think it's generally true around the world? Hardly. But the only examples I knew pointed at this, and it gave me some hope. What if it's the most usual reason these can't work? What if it's just another stereotype based on some half-assed information? At best I know why our relationship WOULD work, at worst I knew a mistake that I can't make by any means. Sure it would be nice to say it shows my maturity that I was able to learn from other people's mistakes, but in fact it was more about loving and being protective about Adri so much, that I wouldn't have done anything I felt would hurt her.

So, roomies.

Adri's parents knew we moved in together, and they hated it, my parents and our friends who would've been happy for it, didn't. Needless to say, Adri's parents believed we weren't more than roommates, but my family and our friends wouldn't even have considered we could be only that.

The weeks, then months went by, and our happiness didn't want to decrease a bit. Do you have any idea how exciting it is to have a secret relationship without the remorse of cheating? Of course I'm not saying you can do it for a whole lifetime, but instead of Adri's staying in the closet causing problems for us, it gave further spice to our already everything but dull lovelife.