Chapter 12: True Identity

Hanji's POV

After we got back home with Raven... Levi... he changed. He was so loving earlier, but now... it seems he was scared. He worried about me and the kids. Not that I dislike it, but he set Raven's crib right next to me and gave his spot on the bed to Eren. Even though I tried to talk him out of it, he slept on a couch near the front door. Whenever I was eating or something, he was making sure that there was no blueberries in it. I wouldn't be that careless to eat something I'm allergic to.

When he thought I fell asleep... I overheard him muttering something about Petra. "Could she... no... I refuse..."

Suddenly, I couldn't take it anymore. I perked up and stared at Levi. "Talk to me."

He jumps a bit, gasping with fear. The two kids were asleep, and I didn't want to move. If I moved, Eren would've woken up and Raven... I needed to be close to her. Call it a 'mother's instincts' or something. "H-Hanji..."

Beckoning him to come close, I began to whisper to him. "Levi, you're being... distant. What's wrong?"

Levi looks down, sighing and gazing the all of us. "H-Hanji..."

"Tell me..."

He then walked towards me, kissing my cheek and holding me close. He didn't stop giving me affection as tears slowly falls down on his cheek. It wasn't much, but I pulled him close and nuzzled him. "It was... when we got Raven. You and Eren were passed out while I held her close. Some guy called me -or girl- and told me Petra's accident wasn't an accident. Then told me I had to give him a million dollars. I had a month..."

"At that time... that's a little over than 3 weeks. We can't even get the money- Levi... why didn't you tell me this?"

"You were gonna be their first target." 

I couldn't laugh it off or anything as everything fell together. His strange behavior of protectiveness over me and the kids- I get it now. Levi's this figure of protectiveness and scared of the worst to happen- and he handles it himself. He did it to protect me and the kids... he hid it all to protect me from worrying. I'm just a new mother who gave birth about a week ago with a husband and his child. Reasons for me to not panic and worry. The kids needed me while Levi... he can leave for a few and the kids would be fine. Levi...

"I know it's... difficult... but... I'm trying to figure out what caused this. And... I didn't want to drag you down. I didn't. Honestly, Hanji... I'm close to figuring it all out. I'm just... close. If they're watching us... try to stay as calm as possible and be there for the kids. Don't worry them... I got this."

"W-What if they hurt you-"

"Then let them hurt me. I'm not letting them hurt you or our kids. I promise you that." He kisses me again, laying me back down on the bed. "Now rest. From the moment I find things out, I will tell you. Alright?"

I nod and slowly close my eyes. I saw Levi's figure hanging over me and gently comforting me as I began to fall into a deep sleep. L-Levi...

*   *   *

Levi's POV

After Hanji went to sleep, I went to sit at the chair by the door, watching over them. My heart was breaking when I lied to her... I didn't know how close I was to finding out the cause of all of this. I was... just holding onto hope for her. 

Just as I closed my eyes for a bit, my phone began to vibrate. Drowsy, I didn't care about who or what was calling me. I simply swiped to answer the call. "H-Hello?" I began to yawn a bit and shaking my head to wake up a bit more.

"Levi." I jolted awake, not expecting him to call me.

"Miche. Did you manage to find anything?"

I heard his chuckle behind the phone, confirming that he did find something. "Of course, Levi. I'm the best of the best- aside from you. Anyways, I haven't yet identified the number, as it was called on a burner phone. But, I have found something out about Petra... are you sure you want to do this?"

A heavy sigh left my body... and I have thought of this for quite awhile. If I wanted to protect the family I love right now... I would have to betray the trust of Petra and digging deep into her past. I didn't want to do it, for respects of her... but right now... I broke enough vows and promises... I needed the truth. 

"Levi?"

"Yes." I say, putting my family's safety first before Petra's privacy. "I'm sure. Don't convince me otherwise."

Miche sighed once more, but listened to me. "Alright then. Petra Ral... her maiden name was Nezzard. Recognized that name, Levi?"

"Wouldn't forget about it." I growled a bit, hearing that name. She couldn't have been connect to the Nezzard Clan... she was too innocent. But come to think of it, she did pry into my business about it. "And you said this was her maiden name?"

"Yes. Apparently... the other Clan, Patolo, got into a fight with the Nezzard... and the Nezzard had to owe a million dollars for some reason. Anyways, Petra ran away when the Nezzard Clan said they wouldn't pay... and she changed her last name to Ral. She was hiding, Levi... but she wasn't who she said she was."

I sighed... but having a bit of hope. "Anything current on the Patolo Clan? I believe one of their members is blackmailing me for the million dollars."

"Well... all but one died from that epidemic a few years back. It's some boy named Richard. He apparently survived and he eventually learned about the million dollar thing. On the day of Petra's accident, he went into the hospital about 5 miles away from there to treat some injuries. I assume they were from the car accident, as he said it wasn't an accident."

I fell silent, thinking it was a much more elaborate plan... but now, I just see it's just for revenge- in some way. His family gets killed off and they were owed a million dollars... so he tracked down the last remaining member and blackmailed me. I scowled, knowing the truth.

"Levi, you still there?"

Shaking my head a bit, I couldn't shake that idea off. "Huh? Yeah, I'm here. Send me any kind of info about him..."

"Calm down-"

"Don't tell me what to do, Miche." I growled, looking back to Eren, Raven, and Hanji... the 3 people I love dearly. I wanted to protect them... and only one thing came to mind. "Thanks for the help."

"Wait-" And that was that. I hung up.

My phone was soon turned off and the battery hidden away. I got dressed in black sweatpants and sweatshirt. I was never the violent kind of person... but killing Petra and wanting to kill more for a measely million dollars... it wasn't worth it. I... I had to protect them. 

I turned to Eren, kissing his forehead. There was a lot of things I wanted him to do for Hanji... but not now... he needed his rest. I then walked over to Raven's crib, caressing her soft cheek and kissing her hand. My second child and sweet daughter... how much I wanted to tell her that I loved her dearly as well as her half brother. Of course, she was young and innocent. She wouldn't remember any of this. Last but not least, it was Hanji. I kissed her hand and cheek, not wanting to leave her. For a long time, I never wanted to love... but I have. For a long time, I never searched for it- but here she was... I love her... which is why it was hard to say goodbyes to all of them. Hopefully... I made it back to them... made it back without worrying them too much.

"I love you all..."