Ch.1: Past

Dear Diary,

I'm going to America now. I'll be going to a little town in Virginia. Mystic Falls. I'm going to change my name to Katherine Pierce. It'll be easier for me to start a new life and hard for Klaus to track me down so he can kill me. I recently saved Emily Bennett and since she thought she was in my debt, I had her forge a special kind of jewelry called Lapis Lazuli, which allows vampires to walk in the daylight. My two friends traveling with me by coach are Pearl and Anna. They are vampires like me. We each are wearing a Lapis Lazuli ring. When I get to the Salvatore estate, I'll tell them a partly truthful story. That my family was killed in a fire and I have no place to go. After all, Niklaus slaughtered my family and then I kept running for my life after I wept over my mama's body. I tried to go to England, but I was banished. So I'm heading to Mystic Falls. I'm hoping to stay for a while before I have to leave.

-Katerina Petrova, 1864

It's a beautiful day, as I step out of the coach in a beautiful dress. As I do, I'm greeted by Giuseppe Salvatore. He bows to me and then I do a curtsy.
"Giuseppe Salvatore," he introduces himself.
"Katherine Pierce," I introduce myself.
He kisses my hand and then lets go and says, "Come. Let me show you to your chamber."
He takes my bag and then starts leading me towards the guest house where I'll be staying. I follow him when he starts to lead me there, me walking at his side, careful to be as human looking and acting as I can. I know he believes in demons that walk the earth. It's a belief that translates to vampires. He's the one I have to be careful about or he'll turn the existence of vampires into a vampire raid with the Founding families. The ones that founded Mystic Falls.
"I'm sorry for your loss, Miss Pierce. I can't possibly imagine how hard it is for you. It must be such a terrible time for you. I hope you can get back on your feet soon. If you need anything, I'm here to help you any way I can," Giuseppe says, as we walk across the yard.
"Thank you. That means a lot to me," I reply.
We stop outside the guest house.
"Here you are," he says.
He kisses my cheek before walking away to attend to whatever he has planned for this afternoon.

It's a beautiful, sunny day as I walk through the Salvatore estate. I stop when I see Mr. Salvatore's younger son Stefan with another guy around Stefan's age. I stand in front of them. They're kicking a ball around.
"Can I play?" I ask.
"Katherine, this is my brother Damon. Damon this is Katherine," Stefan says.
"Nice to meet you," I tell Damon.
"Likewise. This really isn't a game for a girl like you," Damon says.
"Besides, you don't know the rules," Stefan says.
"Who needs rules?" I ask, taking the ball from Damon and running with it under one arm towards the stream.
"That's a girl who clearly wants to be chased," Damon says. "What do you say brother?"
A few minutes later, I hear them run towards me and we run, me with the ball, them chasing me. I smile happily as I run. This is the only fun I have had since I was a human child.

A few nights later, my existence as a vampire is known. I, along with the other vampires, get captured and then we get trapped in the tomb to die with metal over our mouths and around our heads, our feet and hands tied by rope.
Before they slaughter us, Damon and Stefan get me out. They lay me down on solid ground and get the rope and metal off me. Whatever they have done to all the vampires they captured, I don't know. They did the same to me. I'm weak. I know it's Damon and Stefan because of their familiar scent.
"Katherine," I hear Damon call.
I slowly open my eyes.
"Damon," I breathe.
"Katherine, are you okay?" Stefan asks.
Stefan is knelt on the ground beside me, while his brother is knelt down in front of me.
I turn my head to look at him, but before I can answer him, Damon intercedes saying, "Does she look okay? She's not okay."
I turn my head to look up at Damon.
"What do you need?" he asks.
"Blood," I answer.
"Then take it. Take what you need," Damon invites me.
So I do. I take a little from both brothers.
When I feel better, all three of us get to our feet.
A moment later, a gunshot rings out and Stefan falls to the ground shot. Then I turn to see their father with a shotgun. He aims to shoot Damon, as Damon turns to his only brother. As he aims to shoot, I run towards him at vamp speed and twist his wrist. The gun falls to the ground. Then I kill Mr. Salvatore by snapping his neck.
A moment later, I kneel down beside Damon. He's in emotional pain. I put a gentle hand on the side of his face.
"You didn't lose your brother. He's coming back."
"What do you mean?"
"You both have my blood in your veins. If you die or feed, you become a vampire."
"When will he come back?"
"Soon. I promise."
"Alright."
He soon comes back and becomes a vampire.
"I have to go," I tell them.
"What do you mean?" Damon asks me.
I look at Damon and answer him saying, "If I don't go now, I'll surely be killed. If you love me enough, come with me."
He looks at Stefan.

"Go. Well catch up soon," Stefan encourages him.
So Damon and I walk off together to leave home to survive. I just hope his brother has enough sense to leave as well.