Ch.1: Staked

Dear journal,

Klaus killed Elena, but Elena came back alive, feeling fine. Damon gave her some of his blood so he would know that she would survive. I survived too, thanks to Damon getting the cure to me In time, after Klaus, in werewolf form, attacked and bit me. I was trying to save Elena.
We're back to square one, but we have the Gilbert journals to help us. We're starting with Jonathan's journal. Oh, and I haven't told you the best part. We have a daggered Original locked in a cell in the basement; Elijah Mikaelson; one of Klaus' brothers. Alaric daggered him in the woods a few nights ago for us, so we can keep him for safe keeping. Elijah is the only Mikaelson Original we can trust. Elijah doesn't live by Klaus' rules; only his own. He lives by justice, honor, loyalty, and respect. And I can relate. As you know, I also live by my own rules. Another plus of having Elijah is he has a feud with Klaus. Don't we all? So we're all doing our best to work together. It'll be easier once a non-vampire undaggers him and we get Elijah on our side.

-Katherine Pierce, 2005

 It's a dark night, as I head downstairs into the basement to get a blood bag for food. I'm a little hungry. I'm alone in the house, since Damon went out with Elena to the Mystic Bar and Grille. He wanted to get out for a while and I let him. After all, we all know that a cooped up, bored, impatient Damon is a cranky, self-destructive, miserable Damon. And I, with all the rest whom know him, would rather have a well-behaved Damon.
I open the cooler and grab a blood bag. I'm about to turn to the stairs, when I sense something. So I open the cell door and there I see an invisible force pulling it slowly out.
Must be a witch, I think, but know it's not Bonnie Bennett. She wouldn't do something like this.

I don't know what to do, so I stand inside the entryway and yell out, "Hey!"
The dagger stops moving, but I sense that the invisible force is still here. And then I'm thrown against the rock wall and land on my side. I'm in pain. I think my shoulder and leg are wretched somewhere. I try to get up and painfully do, leaning against the wall. Then the searing pain comes, as the invisible force plunges a stake through the middle of my chest. I don't have any time to react, as I collapse, back against the wall. Then everything goes black for me.