Ch.2: Present

Dear diary,

It's been two decades that Katherine and I as vampires have been apart. We lost touch. At first I kept searching for her, but then I just gave up. A part of me will always care about Katherine since she's me and my brother's sire, but there's a girl. Elena. Elena Gilbert. Stefan and I both love her, but he hurt her with words that would hurt anyone, be them human or vampire. Any species. He's in a dark place. This vampire hybrid came here. Niklaus. He compelled Stefan to turn off his humanity, but that didn't stop him from loving Elena. Elena and I are in love, too. She just doesn't know it yet. And no matter how dark of a place either of us are in, the bottom line is we're brothers and we'll do anything to save one another. But unlike Katherine, Elena hasn't come between us. Yet. I should tell you that Elena is Kat's descendant. She looks and sounds just like Kat. That's what attracted us to her until I found out she's nothing like Kat.

-Damon Salvatore, 2004

It's a beautiful night in Mystic Falls, Virginia. I'm at home at the Salvatore house that used to be a boarding house. Katherine had stayed here once. It's a fond memory, but I don't wish to share it. I'm standing by my drinking table in the living room. I set my now empty shot glass of Bourbon down on the table. I may be a vampire, but I love to drink and party. It makes things better if the day has sucked or I'm feeling down.
I turn around, sensing her. It's not Elena. The door opens and she walks in, closing it behind herself. She strides up to me, stopping just inches in front of me, looking into my eyes. She smiles as she does.
"Kat," I greet.
She places her hands on my chest. She shows me her love for me in her eyes. She still loves me, but I have a different kind of love for her. She should go see Stefan. He still loves Kat. The thing is though, she chose me even though she loved us both. But does she love Stefan the way she loves me?
"You shouldn't be here, Kat."
"Why?"
"For one, Klaus is back and Stefan is his slave. Klaus compelled him to turn his humanity off. You're not gonna be safe here for long if he finds out you're here. Two, your descendant could walk through that door any minute now and I don't want anything to happen to either one of you. I love her, but I'll always love you because of the sire bond."
"You worry too much. I wouldn't hurt Elena. She's family. Family means everything to me. "
She kisses my cheek, but I can tell when she pulls away and looks at me, she wishes she had the right to kiss me on the lips, instead.
"Tell me. Why did you come back, Kat? And don't play any games with me."
"I missed you so much, I had to come back home. Besides, I heard there was a doppelgänger in town. That means Elena's in danger."
"You're going to help?"
"Yes."
"I'm liking the new Kat. We should celebrate."
"Agreed."
We smile at each other.

It's a dark night, as we take a walk through Mystic Falls.
"So, what are you going to do first?" he asks me.
"I'm going to help Elena any way I can. What do you want me to do, Damon?"
"We better go to Elena's and see to it that she's safe."
"Then be the leader."
"Have I told you lately how much I like the new you? I really do."

"Plenty, oh sweet Damon."
"Sweet, huh? You really think so?"
"Damon, I know so."
We chuckle and smile at each other the rest of the way.