Chapter 8: Strength For Protection

"You honestly think your guidance will actually make them believe the truth?"

"I do not intend for them to believe it. I only wish for they can understand it."

"Understand, Believe, See, there's a difference, Lucian. An obvious difference."

Mario had both his hands on his head as he had his eyes closed. He could definitely hear what was going on through Lucian and Salem. He realized that when he heard them the last time, they were actually talking to each other instead. But how is it possible for him to hear the whole conversation? More importantly, HOW could they talk to each other the first time if they didn't even have their forms at that time?

'I don't get it..' Mario thought.
'If Lucian really destroyed the Edge of Darkness, and all of Salem's power in it...how do I still have his power? Did he pass it onto me before their fight? Did Salem's darkness merge with...my darkness? I don't know for sure...but one thing I learned was that pushing myself just made it worse. Luigi was right. I have to take it easy. I should've listened to him in the first place.'

"Mario!" He opened his eyes and he saw Luigi running towards him.

"Luigi!" Mario said relieved as he stood up.

"Are you alright?" Luigi asked concerned. "Did Salem get to you?!"

"I'm fine, Luigi." He assured as he put his hand on his shoulder. "I saw you and Salem fight each other as well."

"Y-You did?" He asked nervously. Mario crossed his arms as he looked away.

"I could hear what he was saying to you." He said. "I couldn't hear you, but I knew he was there. I should've gotten up when I had the chance."

"It's not your fault, bro." Luigi said. "Salem was the one who got the jump on me. I wanted to keep you safe from him so that's what I did. I held him off for a little bit but...Lucian saved me. He's in the woods keeping him off!"

"...I know." He said. "I can hear what they're talking about."

"Really? What did they say?"

"Well, one thing I learned...Lucian destroyed the Edge of Darkness. He said it made Salem go insane. Apparently, the Edge of Darkness and the Scepter of Light were their weapons. They used those two weapons to keep Light and Dark balanced."

"But how do you still have his power if the source of it got destroyed?"

"I'm not sure. But that doesn't matter right now. We have to help Lucian out before Salem does something to him."

"W-WHAT?! Mario! Those two are GODS! You mean to tell me, you wanna help a god, and FIGHT a GOD?!" Luigi didn't like the sound of that.

"Luigi, Lucian saved you! You need to return the favor, right? Besides, if there's one person who knows about what's going on, it's him and Salem! Obviously, Salem won't listen to us. So, Lucian is the only chance we have!" Mario put his hands on his shoulders.

"Come on, Luigi! We need all the help we can get. I got your back." Luigi looked back at the woods for a moment before coming up with a decision.

❦ ════ •⊰❂⊱• ════ ❦

Lucian and Salem both stood ten feet away from each orher as they both had glares on their faces. Lucian held his ground to make sure Salem didn't try anything.

"After everything you've done to me...I should have never considered you as my partner." Salem spoke. "You destroyed the very weapon that gave me power, made me into a person!"