Chapter 17: Trust

Luigi was the first to wake up as he slowly blinked his eyes open, and he slowly sat up, and rubbed his eyes. He looked out the window, and saw the sun was just starting to rise. He couldn't help but smile seeing the beautiful colors in it. It made him feel calm. Serene. He looked over at Mario's bed, and he saw he was still sleeping as the blankets were on the floor, and he had his arm under his pillow as well. Mario had a peaceful expression on his face, which made Luigi relieved.

He stood up from the bed, and he walked over to his bed. He picked up the blanket from the floor, and he gently laid it over his brother as he saw a small smile form on his face. Luigi saw this, and he put his hand on his shoulder for a moment, before he walked out of the room, and gently closed the door behind him without waking his brother. He then stretched his arms as he walked down the stairs, but to his surprise, he saw Lucian in his second form sitting on the couch, and he had the books from the library, and the book they had last night as he was putting them into a brown satchel.

Lucian heard his footsteps, and he turned and faced him.

"Oh! Good morning, Luigi." He said. "How did you sleep?"

"I slept fine." He said as he walked over to him. "Mario's still sleeping."

"I see. I think he deserves more rest." He said, now putting the three books into the satchel. "After what Salem has done to him...I cannot blame him for being this exhausted."

"Hard to believe he was completely different back when you were friends." Luigi said as he sat down on the chair beside him. "I can't believe we're even getting this much info on him this quick."

"Not just him, but to me and this goddess as well." He said. "It is a strange feeling. Having someone look familiar, yet you cannot place your finger on it. I feel...I am suppose to know her, yet the memory feels it does not even exist."

"Well, at least we know there was a leader over twilight I guess." Luigi said, but then he became a little nervous. "But uh...when we get Peach, where are we going to go?"

"...As much as it pains me to admit it...your kingdom is not safe to reveal this information." He said as Luigi's eyes widened a little. "Having even just a piece of an orb of darkness can be extremely dangerous. It does not affect the area you are in, or rather...it affects the person in charge of it."

"Mario.." Luigi muttered, and Lucian nodded his head.

"But we need to find the remaining two that lie within." Lucian said.

"But how can we find them? I don't think the books can tell us this, right?"

"Yes, however...we do have one person who can aid us, and that person...is your brother, Luigi. The Edge of Darkness was a gift for Salem, and he was the only one who could wield it for a long period of time. Salem can sense where they are, yet Mario can as well. You can say he will be our...guide. Someone to lead us to the right direction."

"So, Mario technically knows where it is?"

"Yes. However, this is also risking Salem becoming more powerful as well. If he is able to use Mario to give him the orbs...humantiy will be erased once again."

"..." Luigi crossed his arms as he looked away nervously. He didn't want to ask the next question he had on his mind...but he had to know.

"What happens if we get all the orbs?" "Will the Edge of Darkness get pieced back together?" Lucian tensed as he dropped the book he had in his hand back on the desk.