Chapter 11: Promise

"You really think you can change your purpose? Destiny doesn't exist, Mario. It's just one consequence to the next."

"N-No! I won't believe that! I can change my destiny! I'll make up for what I did!"

"I would love to see you try, puppet."

════════  ◖◍◗ ════════

"Why are you being a stubborn jerk?! Our lives are at risk, and you're saying you're okay with it?!"

"That's not what I said! I'm scared just as much as you are! But we just need to accept this for now, and see what we can do about it!"

"What exactly can we do, _____? What are we SUPPOSE to do?!"

"I-I don't know! I'm not the one who started this arguement! But we just need to make sure no one finds out and-"

"Find out what? The fact that everything is at risk, or the fact that we, oh, I dunno...THAT WE'RE GOING TO DI-"

"DON'T YOU DARE SAY THAT WORD, ______, OR YOU'LL REGRET IT!!"

"TRY ME, DARKNESS!!"

════════  ◖◍◗ ════════

"No!"

"Looks like you have a choice to make, Light. You can grab the orb that you need to stop me...or toss it aside, save your worthless brother, and lose it."

"Luigi! I'll be fine! J-Just grab the orb!"

"No! I won't leave you!"

"Hmph. Looks like I need to make the choice for you."

"Mario! Look out!"

"Wha-? AHHH!!"

"MARIO!!!"

════════  ◖◍◗ ════════

"EEP!" Mario snapped his eyes open, but he lost his balance as he fell off the couch onto the floor.

"Ouch.." He clenched his eyes shut in pain as he held onto the couch with his hand. He then used the couch as he slowly sat up, and he rubbed his head. When he looked at his surroundings, he noticed he was back in his home.

"How did I...?" He put his hand on his head, trying to remember what he did before. He didn't remember falling asleep at all. What happened to him? He heard rushing footsteps come from the stairs, and he saw his brother come down from them.

"Mario? Are you okay?" He walked over to him as Mario looked up at him.

"Uh...I think so." He said and Luigi crossed his arms.

"...You fell off the couch, didn't you?" He said.

"...Maybe." Mario laughed nervously, and Luigi snickered as he shook his head.

"Here, lemme help you up." He gently grabbed him by the arm and lifted Mario up onto his feet as he put his other hand on his head.

"Luigi, what happened?" He asked. "The last thing I remember was staying at the castle library...and that's it."