04

avery woke up in colby's bed the next morning, but she was alone

avery woke up in colby's bed the next morning, but she was alone. a frown found it's way on her face because what was the point of being in a bed much too big if he wasn't there beside her?

she was in her usual xplr hoodie that she had claimed as her own one night when her and colby got too drunk on his bedroom floor. it was a little too big for her, but she liked the way the sleeves fell past her hands and how it always managed to smell like him. he kept it draped over his couch specifically for whenever she needed it, and if that didn't scream that he loved her back then nothing would.

she debated on texting him, but just pulled the hood over her messy hair and made her way downstairs. he was sat on the couch in a much too expensive hoodie with his laptop resting against his legs. he greeted her with a smile that only grew as she neared him.

"morning," he spoke, running his hand up her bare thigh, but he retracted it before it got too high. she fell on the couch beside him and wrapped an arm around his clothed bicep as she watched him edit a video. it wasn't amusing, but she was with colby so that's all that mattered. "how're you feeling?"

"could be better," she laughed, which earned one from him too. the way they were right now made it seem like they hadn't not talked for weeks, and avery liked it. it was times like these where she didn't mind that he wasn't her boyfriend or that they hadn't kissed yet. "what're you up to today?"

"editing," he mumbled, but his tone lightened up towards the end and he gave her a devilish grin, "but we're doing an overnight video later, wanna come?"

"colby," she groaned. he knew that she hated the exploring videos because there was always some unmentioned twist, and corey was right there beside her on that one.

"c'mon, ave," his voice was soft and his blue eyes were big as he stared down at her, "it's just an abandoned school. it'll be fine."

when she didn't reply, he leaned down towards her and he was so close that she could feel his breath fanning against her face. his lips brushed against her ear and he whispered into it. her knees were shaking and she gave right in.

he promised he would stop at her apartment so she could grab pants and it was almost like he knew that she was going to keep his hoodie on for the night.

"let's go then," she pushed after he had finished editing but didn't move. he was comfortable with her arms wrapped around his and he didn't want to leave that position just yet. after she shook him, he got up and playfully rolled his eyes before going to change and gather all the boys.

after they had went to avery's and gotten her a better pair of pants for exploring, they piled into colby's little car and started their three hour journey. once they were far enough into the trip and no one could back out, they turned the camera on.

"what's up guys, it's sam and colby," colby dramatically said into the camera, "plus corey, jake, and avery."

the three in the back popped their heads up and waved, but didn't say anything as they anxiously waited for them to explain what they were doing tonight.

"tonight we're going to be staying at an abandoned school," sam spoke, but made wide eyes as he went on, "according to these websites and multiple stories, it's extremely haunted."

"yeah," colby nodded, "apparently the students were abused, or something like that. there was a suicide and some other death."

"a girl hung herself from the volleyball nets," sam informed the viewers, and the three that were stuck in the back. "and some seniors were giving a younger boy a swirly and he ended up drowning. i brought my ouija board to see if we can contact them."

"alright, turn the car around," avery laughed, but she was really just scared. colby glanced at her through the rearview mirror where she was squished between corey and jake and he saw the look of sheer panic on her face. he began to feel bad and wished she were in the front seat so he could soothingly rub her thigh or hold her hand.

"it'll be fine," he reassured, catching her gaze in the mirror and he shot her a smile. her tense muscles wanted to relax at his words, but they didn't and she was still scared.

her head slumped against jake's shoulder as she fell asleep and she didn't wake up until corey was tickling her sides.

"fuck off," she giggled, following him out of the car. she took the school in and how awful it looked. she got a weird feeling as she stepped closer and colby noticed how nervous she actually was. he pulled her hand into his grip, not caring that the boys were around.

"hey," his voice was gentle and his other hand went to cup her cheek and make her look at him, "i promise it's going to be okay."

she nodded at him and let out a deep breath as he squeezed her hand. the camera was on now and they entered the poor excuse for a building. there was no going back.