14

i was feeling down so i wrote a chapter that reflected my feelings idk

nothing really changed between avery and colby after she had said yes to being his girlfriend, except for the titles

nothing really changed between avery and colby after she had said yes to being his girlfriend, except for the titles. avery was never fond of labels but there was some sort of safety knowing that colby was her boyfriend.

"what're you doing today?" colby asked from over the phone. his voice was deep and rumbly and it seemed like he had just woken up. avery's eyes flickered to her clock and she realized it was nearly four in the afternoon.

"the day's almost over," she replied and he picked at his nails as he thought of what they should do for the night. he knew the rest of their friends were going to a party, but he felt bad asking avery to go to them all the time now that she was his girlfriend. "what about you?"

"not sure," he informed her and he was hesitant to continue, "there's a party later on- if you want to go."

"oh."

"if not, we can do something else," colby quickly added. avery had tried to hide the disappointment in her tone, but colby knew her well enough to catch it.

"no, if you want to it's fine," she reassured, but the frown on her face was still there and he couldn't see it so he sighed. "i'll see you later."

she hung up the phone and let out an aggressive puff of air before digging through her closet. she didn't care to try for the party tonight because she was feeling down and would rather lay in her bed with colby. she knew he wouldn't mind if she asked, but she didn't want to ruin his night.

she settled on his designer hoodie because it was expensive so it was nice enough for a party. she paired it with black jeans and tucked the oversized top in just enough so it didn't look bad. she didn't bother with her hair and sat on her couch until colby knocked on her door that she didn't know was locked.

"hi," he greeted her with a gentle kiss on the cheek before he stared down at her and tried to figure out how she was feeling. something was off and he noticed, but it was clear that she didn't want to talk about it so he let it go.

he reached for her hand but they were shoved in her pockets so he retracted it. they went to his car where he told her they should just walk since it was close. she didn't respond and followed him down the empty sidewalk.

"are you okay?" he asked and his voice was careful like he didn't want to break her. she fought the sudden urge to cry and only nodded because she was scared her words would fail her, "avery, baby."

she almost lost her composure at how silky his words were and she wanted to hug him and let her tears flow while her head was buried in his chest. she wanted him to have a good time so she nodded once again and after that it was silent until they entered the house.

there were so many people greeting them and avery felt overwhelmend so she excused herself and found the bathroom. colby's worried eyes followed her frame until she disappeared behind the closed door.

avery stood in front of the mirror, the bright lights showcasing every flaw clearly. she scowled at her messy hair and wished she would've fixed it before leaving the house. she began to wallow in self pity and suddenly hated everything about herself.

she thought about all the pretty girls out there who were models and wondered why colby had asked her to be his girlfriend instead of them. as the tears began to well up in her eyes she used the sleeves of his hoodie to rub them in an attempt to stop them before they fell.

"avery?" colby's knuckles tapping against the locked door knocked her from her self depreciating thoughts and she blinked a few times before going to open it. she tucked her hair behind her ears and tried to tame it before colby could get a good look at her. "what's going on?"

"i'm just tired," she faked a yawn and avoided eye contact, her body shaking at how many people were there and she felt out of place. "i might go home."

"why?" his lips curved downwards and he noticed the red marks on her face from the friction of the fabric against her skin. his heart sunk and all he wanted to do was help her.

"i'm tired," she repeated and she was afraid that if she stayed any longer she'd break down.

"let me walk you."

"i don't want to ruin your night," her voice cracked at the end of her sentence and her insecurities flooded her mind again and she didn't want colby to look at her anymore.

"what?" his mouth fell open and his forehead wrinkled in confusion. his hand went out to stop her as she tried to walk past him and he pulled her against him. the loud music and scattered talking seemed to fade out when his warmth engulfed her body. "why would i stay here without you?"

"colby," she whispered, her vision blurring as his fingers threaded through her hair, being stopped every now and then by a knot but he only brushed through them.

he didn't say anything else, but he guided her out of the house without letting his arms come from around her. he sat down on the front steps of the large house and she sat beside him, her head slumping against her palms.

"why are you with me?" he frowned at her words and was left confused again. all of this was coming out of nowhere and he wanted her nervous thoughts to stop because he loved her and leaving her wasn't in his plans.

"what?" he couldn't wrap his head around what she was saying and he had no good response. he was with her for so many reasons and he didn't have time to name all of them.

"there's so many gorgeous girls that want to be with you," she let a tear slip out of her eye and before she could wipe it, his thumb was brushing it away and he let his hand stay cupping her cheek.

"you're perfect to me, ave," he reassured. he didn't know how to properly comfort her and he felt bad. "i don't want anyone else."

"but look at me," she let out a pathetic laugh before a few more tears fell and he was quick to push them all off her now sticky face.

"i am," he told her tenderly, "and you're so pretty. there's no word good enough to describe you."

a sob racked her body and his arms wrapped around her quivering frame and he felt bad. he didn't know what she was feeling or why, but he did know that he didn't want her to hurt.

"you're the only girl i see," his plump lips pressed against her forehead and they lingered for a moment before he placed another one on her soft skin, "no one else matters to me."

"i'm sorry," she apologized as she backed out of his grip but he only leaned forward and pushed his lips against her's and tried to let her know it was fine without using his words because they weren't good enough.

"i'm always here," he promised, his hands grabbing one of her's and holding it between them. he smiled down at her and his heart swelled when she returned it. "there's that beautiful smile."

"can we leave?" she shyly questioned and he stood up and laced their fingers together before they made their way back to her apartment where they crawled into her bed like she wanted to do at the start of the night.

"why didn't you tell me something was up before we left?" he questioned when they were safely cuddled up under he comforter.

"i didn't want to bother you," she mumbled, her eyes fluttering shut as he nestled his face into the crook of her neck. his arms were wrapped firmly around her body and her back was against his chest.

"you never bother me," he sounded sad which made avery's features soften and she turned to look at him. "i'm supposed to make you feel better when you're sad."

"it was stupid," she told him and his blue eyes studied her face as she talked, "i'm better now, but actually tired."

"goodnight then," he grinned and playfully rolled onto his other side, earning a giggle from her. his voice was smooth and soothing when he actually told her goodnight and she wouldn't have wanted to fall asleep to anything else.