28

maybe it was because colby was bored and wanted something new in his life or maybe he was just confused, but when avery asked him to come over the night following the party, he said no.

he managed to pull himself away from the brunette girl last night because he would never be unfaithful to his girlfriend and he ended up staying at avery's apartment that night. she didn't sleep in his arms like she usually would and it was almost like she knew something was up. if she wasn't suspicious then, she surely was now.

she let it go because she didn't want it to end in some silly fight. she pulled on sam's merch and slipped into bed while colby was checking his hair before he went out to pick up brooklyn. he didn't think it was wrong because they were only hanging out and they were friends.

"hey," he breathed out when she slid into his passenger's seat and she greeted him with a small smile. he chuckled as she waved at him, but he didn't know that she wasn't talking because she thought her words would fail her. she didn't know that if she tried anything she would be shut down immediately because he still had a girlfriend even if she didn't know about her.

they drove around in silence for a bit because neither of them knew where to go or how to actually start a conversation. colby was infatuated with how mysterious she was and he wanted to learn more about her. was someone new better than someone he'd grown to love?

"where are you from?" he finally asked her.

"seattle," she replied and she continued on as if she could tell he wanted to know more. "my parents named me brooklyn because they both grew up in that city. they moved away since they decided they needed a fresh start."

"that's sick," he wished he knew the history behind avery's name, but they'd never had that conversation and maybe that was a problem or maybe he was just looking for something to be wrong in his perfect relationship. maybe he wanted a reason to get a fresh start like brooklyn's parents had. "why'd they need a fresh start?"

"a lot of fighting and they felt distant with each other," she nodded at her own words and she leaned back in her seat so she could stare at colby better. he was beautiful and she wanted to touch up his faded hair. "moving forced them to grow back to each other and spend more time with each other since they were practically alone in such a big city."

"are they still together?" colby might've been crossing boundaries, but he was curious now.

"they took a break for a while a few years ago. divorce papers were involved but never signed," she explained, tearing her eyes away from him. "they realized how much they needed each other in their time apart and got back together."

"is everything good between them now?"

"they still fight sometimes, but every couple does," she giggled and colby's stomach bubbled because he decided he loved her giggle. "still going strong though and i couldn't be happier, i don't think they could be either."

it got colby thinking about him and avery. he wondered if she pictured a future with him and now he was starting to question if he saw one with her.

"what do you want to do?" he changed the subject because he felt guilty. he shouldn't be thinking about avery while he was with another girl or maybe it was that he shouldn't be with another girl at all.

"we could dye your hair," she offered and then they were on their way to a convenience store to buy some cheap hair dye in an attempt to fix his. they ended up back at his apartment and he was bent over the tub as she washed the dye out of his hair. 

he stared at himself in the mirror while she dried his hair and when it was finally done, he noticed that it was a slightly darker blue than before but it still looked better than the faded color.

"it looks so good," she ruffled his hair and stared up at him. she had the sudden urge to kiss but the second she began to lean further in, he backed up and exited the bathroom.

his phone was vibrating on the counter and by the time he made his way over, he had a missed call from avery. he debated on calling her back but decided he would just text her in the morning and say he fell asleep.