23

"you're so stupid," avery scolded as she grabbed another tissue from the box that was nearly empty now

"you're so stupid," avery scolded as she grabbed another tissue from the box that was nearly empty now. colby was sitting on the closed toilet seat and avery was standing between his legs. his hands were lingering on her sides because he was cautious and didn't know if he was allowed to touch her or not.

"stupid for you," colby winced as she dabbed the bundled up material against his bottom lip. avery's left hand gripped the bottom of his face while her right hand wiped the blood away and she studied his face as she wondered how utterly idiotic he could be.

"why would you do that?" she ignored his cheesy comment. her voice was soft and worried and she hated how he got hurt because of her. colby would never tell her, but the fist repeatedly hitting against his face was less painful than when he walked out of her life a few weeks ago.

"he was bothering you, ave," his tone matched her's and she felt her heart swell. he was so gentle and it was the exact opposite of their last conversation. "i would never let him get away with that."

"it wasn't that bad," she lied, but colby was too familiar with her to let that slip. he caught the way her brown eyes flickered down before catching his gaze again and he noticed how she shifted her weight from one foot to the other.

"you were so uncomfortable," it sounded like it physically pained him to think of how dom's arm was forcefully around her just half an hour ago.

avery couldn't hold back and she wrapped her arms around his neck and he quickly stood up so he could return the hug. his grip was tight and she swore she would never let him go again after this. she was so in love with him that there was no turning back at this point and he had every bit of her.

"i'm fine," she whispered and her words were muffled against his chest, but he only pulled her closer to body because he didn't want her to leave his arms.

"at least i won," he backed up and grinned down at her, the cut on his lip splitting back open at the quick movement. his fingers went up to feel it and he held them in front of his face as he squinted at the red liquid covering his skin.

"you're impossible," avery shook her head as she took the last tissue and pressed it against the wound. colby chuckled and watched as she looked around the bathroom for peroxide. she swung the cabinet open and twisted the cap off of the plastic bottle before bunching up toilet paper to use like a tissue. "this might hurt."

"i'm ready for it," he smirked, but the burning sensation that the liquid brought him as it bubbled up inside the cut wiped the expression off his face. "ouch."

"told you," she giggled as she returned the bottle to it's original spot. "it'll stop it from getting infected, dom's dirty."

"no pun intended."

avery sighed as it fell silent and she wasn't sure what to say to break it. they both had things on their mind, but neither of them wanted to pop the peaceful bubble that had formed around them and be the one to start another fight. there was no reasonable explanation for colby acting like a dick and no matter what he said, he still sounded awful.

"i'm sorry, you know?" his voice was nervous and he anxiously fiddled with his rings.

"i know."

"i really am."

"i know," she repeated and he stood up and placed his hand underneath her chin as he stared down at her and looked at all her features that helped him fall in love with her. her beauty was only part of the reason he stumbled face first into a tunnel of feelings for her. there were so many things he wanted to give her but couldn't.

colby was always trying even if he failed sometimes and avery knew that. she could never hate him no matter what he did and he knew that.

"i owe you the world," his voice was deep and raspy, his ring-covered hand brushing against her cheek.

"you don't owe me a thing," she blushed then smiled softly, tracing her fingers along the burning trail he'd just left on her face.

"but i want to give you the world," his bottom lip jutted out as he pouted, causing her to laugh.

"you're better than all of the things in the world," she reassured him, pushing herself forward to close the gap between them. even though his lips were chapped because it was cold out and he had been anxiously licking them all night, she still enjoyed the feeling of them against her own.

and she loved him, but she was too scared to tell him. it was okay though because the way their tongues moved together told them everything they were too nervous to tell each other.

she desperately wanted him to love her back and he knew that by the way she pushed herself against him as she tried to get impossibly closer, so he kissed her harder and tried to let her know that he did love her.