35

a short lil filler chapter for the better ones that are coming <3

"hi," avery finally squeaked after standing silently in her doorway staring at the boy in front of her. she almost didn't believe he was actually there and thought that her brain was playing some sick trick on her. he waved back at her rather than talking because he was nervous and knew that his words would be shaky. "what're you doing here?"

colby went through hell to get inside her house. her dad had been set on not letting the boy in and he was ready to drive him back to the airport until colby broke down in tears. even then her dad was wary about him coming to speak to avery, but he figured he was just as hurt as she was and he had come all the way here so he deserved a chance.

"came to see you," he replied, a soft smile playing on his lips.

"why?" she questioned curtly. it was known that she fled across the country to get away from him, so she was confused on why he followed her.

"i broke up with her, avery," he took a deep breath before continuing, "i'm sorry, like truly sorry."

"you act like that's going to fix anything," she rolled her eyes and closed her door so her and colby could have all the privacy that her house would allow them. she knew that her parents were at the bottom of the steps trying to catch everything they could.

"i love you, okay?" he spoke gently, his hands rubbing his face as he tried to get his point across. "when i first told you that, i believe i was making a promise to you. a promise to keep you safe and happy and to love you through everything. i ruined that and i'm sorry, i want to fix it."

"why'd you do it?" her voice was raw and her pain was radiating from it and colby felt his heart break more than he thought was possible.

"i don't know," he muttered and he hated himself. "maybe it's because i'd been chasing you for four years straight and i thought i needed something new. i don't know, i don't have an answer."

"okay," her voice cracked and she looked away from him as she tried to think of something else to say. she wanted to forgive him, but if she did so quickly then he wouldn't learn from his mistakes and it would just make him think it was okay to do it again.

"please come here," his voice was hoarse and she could tell he was on the verge of tears so she stepped forward and crawled into his arms. she felt something hit her shoulder and begin to slide down her bare skin and she instantly knew he was crying and it set her over the edge and she began to sob against his chest. "i'm so sorry."

"it's not okay," she whispered back and his chest constricted as another sob racked his body. "but i want to make things okay again."