Meeting

Isabelle felt Simon's eyes on her as she walked to her official spot between Clary and Magnus.

Her initial response when Clary had suggested a let's-help-Simon-remember meeting had been "No." But then Jace, Alec and even Magnus had agreed it would be better. Isabelle was sill hesitant, but Clary had gone and told Simon there would be one, so in the end she had no choice.

It was their third meeting, and they had figured out a sort of plan. It started with a casual:

"How are you, Simon?"

"Why, I am FANGtastic, how about you, Jace?"

"Well, my dear Simon, I'm feeling ANGELic. What about you, Magnus?"

"My day has been just MAGICal, a-"

"Shut up guys. And you're not a vampire any more, Simon." Clary would say.

"But I AM a master of corn."

Isabelle would smile through the pain and laugh on cheque, but nobody had any idea how much she missed Simon. The old Simon, and jokes that were just for her.

Now, Jace and Alec were having a conversation about pie, but only using words from Clary's old spelling book, which she had bought along to try and jog Simon's memory. It didn't work, but Simon had said something about demon realms when Jace had started talking about how pies made by musketeers who lived at conspicuous raspberries made him see fluorescent rhinoceroses and cannibalistic leprechauns.

"Okay, Simon, we'll start with something different today," Magnus interrupted Alec in the middle of his grand speech. "Are there any questions you would like to ask any us?"

"There is," Simon said slowly, looking at Isabelle. "And there are some things I would like to clear up."

"Are you going to ask me where I get my amazing looks from? Because I'm afraid I can't answer that. It's just destiny." Jace said, with a cringe-worthy wink at Clary.

"I don't think that's the first thing that came to his mind."

Simon looked at their small group. He wanted so desperately to ask about Isabelle, but he knew he shouldn't get too deep too soon. Besides, he didn't even know if she liked him any more.

"Why," He asked Isabelle, remembering their shopping trip yesterday, organised by Clary. "Did you buy me leather pants? They give me a bad vibe, somehow..."

He saw it then, a hint of a smile. Definitely not a grin, but the beginnings of one. He remembered something then, a musical laugh, the feel of soft, beautiful hair on his fingers and... facebook?

"You're lucky I didn't get you a puffy white shirt too." Isabelle smirked.

"What-?"

"Please don't. Just... ugh." Alec cringed.

A peal of laughter escaped Isabelle's lips. Simon loved that sound. He wanted to hear it again, and again. He wanted to be the one to make her laugh. He wanted...

Clary's phone suddenly ringed, and when she picked it up and looked at the screen, she saw it was her mom.

"Hello? Mom?"

"Clary! Simon's mother is here!" Jocelyn sounded frantic.

Oh no, Clary thought. Simon still hadn't given his mom a full explanation of what had happened, mostly because he didn't really know himself, but even after an eleven hour meeting with Luke and Jocelyn about the shadow world, she was still confused as to why Simon was involved.

"Okay, calm down. We'll be there in ten." Clary reassured her.

"Yes. Yes, good. Okay."

"See you, mom." Clary hung up, then turned to Simon. "Your mom is at our house. I think you should talk with her."

Simon almost groaned. He had been making progress with Isabelle. By some sort of instinct he looked to her.

"You should go. I'm sure her biggest concern is only Magnus." She half smiled.

Simon nodded as Magnus started arguing with Isabelle and got up to leave with Clary. As Clary got up, Jace gave her a kiss. Simon cringed internally. He still wasn't sure what Clary saw in him.

They got in Eric's van, which he had let Simon borrow on the condition of a meeting with Simon's cousin, who he had described as "Wow, look at that rockin' bod!".

Simon gripped the stearing wheel and took a deep breath. He wasn't ready for this.

"Don't worry," Clary said, as if reading his thoughts. "I'll help you."

Simon nodded. "Okay. Let's go."