Road Home

Simon heard Isabelle stir in the blanket beside him. "Isabelle. Isabelle,"

"Mgh?" She yawned. "What- Why are we outside?" She looked around. "Oh."

He pointed to the sky, where dawn was approaching, and colours shot through the sky.

"Wow," Isabelle breathed, and her breath came out like smoke in the frosty air. She had seen dawn many times before, but never like this. Never just her, and Simon, and no noise from early traffic and smoke from all the people.

"Let's go back inside. You'll get sick out here," Simon said, shivering from the cold himself.

Isabelle shook her head. "I want to watch this,"

"But-"

"Shh." She gave him a quick kiss on the cheek, only half aware of what she was doing in her sleepy haze. It shut him up.

Soon she fell asleep again, and Simon carried her back to the tent.

"What's going on here?" Said an amused voice.

Simon almost dropped Isabelle.

He turned to face Magnus. "I- Well, we-"

Magnus narrowed his eyes suspiciously. Simon took that as his queue to leave.

~~~~

Isabelle sighed. Of course she would dream about Simon. Like he would kiss her on purpose, in real life.

She opened her eyes, and turned to Simon on the bed next to her, but he wasn't there.

Maybe she didn't dream it after all.

Looking outside, she saw it was well and truly day. Light cut through the small gaps in-between the zipper of the tent, and she could hear the others talking outside.

After fixing up her hair and and applying rushed makeup, she zipped open the tent and walked outside to find the others talking in hushed voices.

"-Band won't agree, but Simon-" Clary broke off, noticing Isabelle.

"Izzy!" Alec exclaimed, a little too brightly, handing her a hot chocolate.
She knew something was happening, something she wasn't supposed to know about.

"We're leaving in one hour, so get ready." Jace said.

After changing and helping Simon pack up the tent, Isabelle found herself squished in the back seat between Simon and Magnus, who seemed amused at the seating arrangements.

And as they began their masterful rendition of "Do You Want to Build an Evil Demon Child?", Isabelle found herself laughing and smiling and just happy for the first time in a while.

Slowly, but surely, Simon's fingers slipped through hers. Isabelle noticed the way a slow blush spread over on hid cheeks when she held his hand back, and felt her heart do somersaults in her chest.

He was just so goddamned cute.