A Boy

Isabelle winced at the loud, unsubtle creak of the floorboards as she crept towards Simon's room. She'd lain awake for hours, telling herself that of course she wasn't going to barge into Simon's room in the middle of the night like a madwoman. She repeated this to herself multiple times as she barged into his room in the middle of the night like a madwoman, making sure he was asleep before curling into a ball on the bed next to him and watching him sleep through the corner of her eye. She couldn't believe she was doing this but- somehow, she felt an eerie second presence in her room, a hand reaching for her that sent chills down her spine. Asmodeus? No, she told herself firmly, shaking her head. These nightmares were getting out of control. Besides, her amulet would have been going crazy with a greater demon in the room.

Simon murmured in his sleep, reaching out for something.

"Shh. It's okay," Isabelle whispered, smoothing down his hair. In her sleepy haze she barely even wondered what the hell she was doing.

"Isabelle?" Simon said, alarmed. "Why are you in my bed?"

"Oh! I-" She hastily removed her hand from where it had been stroking his hair absentmindedly.

Simon glanced down at his watch. "It's three a.m."

"Sorry?"

"Is something wrong?" He asked, reaching for his glasses.

She bit her lip. "No," She had meant to say, but the way Simon's face softened told her she just teared up involuntarily.

"Izzy," Simon said. "Are you-" What did he say? "Do you want- Do you to play Minecraft with me?"

He almost face-palmed at this. God, he was stupid.

But Isabelle didn't look bothered. "Sure. Just teach me. How hard can it be?"

~~~

"Okay, so you just- No! Don't press that- Doesn't matter. Now try and-" Simon winced as Isabelle jabbed a key at random, sending her plummeting into endless darkness...

"I think I've almost got it- Simon why is he shooting at me? Simon the glass keeps on replacing itself after I break it! Why is it trapping me- Oh. What- How do I open this chest?! It just keeps on- Simon! It sent me back! What- Is that person wearing purple and yellow together?" Isabelle narrowed her eyes, then bit her lip. "I'm improving, right?"

"Sure," Simon said, trying not to look at the screen, where Isabelle was trying to attack people in the peaceful area. Maybe letting her play PVP wasn't such a good idea. Apparently shadowhunters' combat skills didn't extend to the virtual world.

"I'm entering again," Isabelle declared, stepping into the portal that led her into the game.

Simon tried very hard not to laugh at the messages other players were sending her. He could only hope she didn't see them.

"Feel the wrath of my fishing rod!" Isabelle said from the computer screen, where she was attempting to capture enemies with a fishing rod so she could fight them by hand. "Simon why can't I do a flip to the other island? Also where's the seraph blades? Wha- Are they throwing snowballs at me? Simon! The screen went black!

"It means you died," Simon said gently.

"What?! Why did I die?"

"The enemies-"

"They killed me with snowballs?" Isabelle demanded, then narrowed her eyes. "Is that a group discussion? Without me? Who are they talking about?"

"I'm going to go get some tea," Simon said suddenly, quickly exiting the room.

Isabelle sighed. What had she done to scare him off this time?

~~~~

I am not pretty. I am not beautiful.

I am as radiant as su-

Simon closed the book with a sigh. Usually he had no trouble reading, but with Isabelle snuggled into him, completely trusting and loving, Simon was sure even Maryse, who was sleeping in the room above them, could hear his rapidly beating heart.

Isabelle looked down at the book in his hands. "The Hunger Games? Is it good?"

Simon was inexplicably pleased by the fact that even though Isabelle didn't like reading, she held his opinion in regard.

He smiled down at her. "It's very apocalyptic. No-one wears seven inch heals- I mean, there's Effie, but-"

He broke off, frowning.

"Is something wrong?" Isabelle asked, suddenly alert.

"I- Is someone cooking? I think- there's something in the kitchen. Not that something," He quickly added when Isabelle reached for her whip.

"No-one should be awake, but let's go." Isabelle said.

~~~~

Simon leaned against the counter, smelling anything and everything around him, while Isabelle tried very hard not to laugh at him.

"I could swear-" He said, shaking his head. "Can you smell something? Kind of like- rotting food?"

Isabelle shook her head.

"Soup, maybe?"

She suddenly remembered something, and she staggered at the surprise of the flashback.

"I want soup,"

"No, you don't. You just want to sleep with Isabelle."

Isabelle stayed very still. Somewhere, far away, she heard Simon's voice, asking her something. The memory cut jagged lines all through her heart, but she didn't feel it. Everything was ice-cold and white around the edges. Suddenly Simon and the institute were a far away memory; she was now in a stark white room, and something was tugging at her bloody and beaten wrists.

Chains, she realized vaguely. Everything was hazy and spinning when she looked around. A result of poisoning or a concussion, she should have realized, but Isabelle didn't realize, for this was a dream, and she was not the one in control.

"Feeling better yet?" An amused voice said into her ear, though when she turned around there was nothing, only a feeling that something was terribly, horribly wrong.

A glass case. A metal rod.

A boy.

~~~~

JUST WHEN YOU THOUGHT EVERYTHING WAS GOING TO BE ALRIGHT

(sorry for not updating lately :)