Surprise!

Simon pulled Eric aside. "Please, don't mess this up,"

Eric smirked. "Oh, no, I'll be a hit, I promise you."

"Just, don't scare her," Simon hissed back, just as they heard footsteps coming up the stairs. Isabelle.

Clary patted his back, as if to reassure him. He needed it.

~~~~

Isabelle stalked up the hallway, and shouldered her bedroom door open. A whisper alerted her of another presence in the room, and she crouched, seraph blade on hand, ready to strike.

A blinding light shot through, and she heard shouts of surprise! and happy birthday!

Isabelle blinked. It was her birthday? She had forgotten.

Magnus ran to her, glitter in hand, but Alec put a hand on his shoulder, whispering gently but firmly not to cover Isabelle in glitter.

She put the seraph blade down, and was immediately hugged by Clary.

"Sorry about that. We had a hard time convincing him not to glitter-fy your room in the first place."

There were more greetings and birthday wishes, and then there was Simon, standing there awkwardly with a present, a lopsided grin on his face. "Happy birthday,"

She walked over hesitantly. He pulled her into a tight hug. He handed her the present. Shaking it a bit, she realized it was empty. "What-"

"Ask Magnus, later," Simon explained, just as a deafening screech from the microphone cut through.

"Okay," Kirk said from the mini stage- they set up a stage in her bedroom?- and the other band member- Isabelle couldn't remember which one- started rattling off about what songs they would be performing.

Isabelle couldn't hide her smile. They had done all this for her? She and Simon were grinning like idiots.

"This is- it's amazing," Isabelle breathed.

Simon grinned, and, in an attempt to be cool, said, "I'm amazing."

Isabelle jabbed a finger at him. "No. You sound like Jace. Don't be an excessively macho blond dude,"

"Who's an excessively macho blonde and devilishly handsome dude?" Jace said, appearing at Clary's shoulder.

"I'm devilishly handsome," Magnus piped up. "Just ask Alec."

Alec turned a concerning shade of purple.

"And I'm a normal person who would like to enjoy my party," Isabelle said, deciding to save Alec.

"Your other presents are over there," Clary said, pointing to a pile in the corner.

Neon lights shone throughout Isabelle's bedroom as she swung her hips around, dancing to the band's, in actuality, terrible music. She looked around; Bat was DJ-ing, Maia was leaning on the deck, pressing buttons at random, Luke, Jocelyn and Maryse were in a corner exchanging polite adult conversation, and Simon, Clary, Jace, Magnus and even Alec were there with her- dancing.

Two unexpected guests arrived at their shoulders.

"You don't mind if we join you?" The girl- Tessa, Clary realized- said.

Brother Zachariah- or just Zachariah, Isabelle supposed- said, "I havent yet had my fair share of parties yet. I must say, this is a lot different to what I'm used to."

Isabelle said to Tessa, "You have to teach him to dance-"

"I know how to dance-"

"To slow, 18 hundreds music. This is different." Tessa told him, laughing. Isabelle hadn't known he was from the 18 hundreds.

"Well- thankyou. I'll put his hips to use," Tessa said. Zachariah blushed.

They continued, Magnus looking very amused at Zachariah's attempts at dancing, and a very familiar, very furry, face appeared.

Isabelle narrowed her eyes. "Is that- It's Church!"

She picked him up, and untied the small ribbon at his neck- the one that he had been rolling around desperately to try and remove. It said, Happy Birthday! You can have him back.

She looked up, searching for Tessa and Zachariah, but they were nowhere to be seen. Simon, at her shoulder, read it too.

"Church!" For once, Church was obligatory to everyone's petting. He walked over to the DJ deck, presumably to chew on the corners and annoy Bat and Maia.

The cake, presented by Maia, was covered in what Magnus claimed was edible glitter. In the party lights it looked fluorescent.

Isabelle looked at it sceptically. "Uh- Magnus, it doesn't look edible,"

Magnus rolled his eyes. "Look!" He said, taking a bit and eating it as demonstration.

"You used magic on it, didn't you?" Alec asked cautiously.

"Yes- honestly, does no-one trust my cooking?" Magnus demanded.

Everyone was silent.

"Well," Jace allowed. "It's better than Isabelle's."

In a few seconds she had him tackled to the ground.

"I meant- mine, better than mine."

Isabelle smirked. "That's what I thought you said."

"I hope you know what you're getting yourself into," Alec said quietly from Simon's shoulder.

"You can hardly talk," Simon said, gesturing to Magnus' glitter suit.

~~~~

"Izzy," Simon said. He pulled her and Magnus aside.

"Simon wanted me to magic your present on." Magnus explained, blue sparks flying from his fingers.

With a few waves of his hands, it was done.
Isabelle looked down at herself and smiled ecstatically. It was beautiful- gold, black, everything that described her. She was wearing-

"A dress!" Isabelle squealed, flinging herself at Simon.