Water Park

Isabelle screamed as Simon pulled her under the water; they were having a water battle, but most of it had been them both laughing.

Clary and Jace, who were watching them closely, noticed how both of them hadn't seemed so alive in months. Jace would have been sneaking up on Alec and Magnus, but he was avoiding them for fear of being blinded by Magnus' new glittery swim suit.

Simon and Isabelle were back to their water battle, and were splashing each-other while the mundanes watched them curiously. They hadn't bothered to put on glamour runes; Jace had suggested it, but Clary pointed out how the mundanes would notice if the water had started splashing and moving by itself.

Isabelle laughed and pulled Simon under again.

Without thinking or meaning to, Simon pulled her closer and placed his mouth on hers. It just seemed a natural thing to do.

The effect was immediate. Isabelle stiffened from surprise but pulled him closer, and her hands were tangled in his hair.

They couldn't stay like that for too long; they would run out of air, Simon knew, but he enjoyed it while he could. When they felt their lungs screaming for air, they separated and swam back up.

"I-I'm sorry, I didn't, um, mean to do that." Simon said, looking at his feet and running a hand through his hair.

Isabelle flushed. "Ye-yeah, it's fine- I mean, not that-"

"Izzy." Isabelle looked up and saw Simon looking at her seriously.

"Yeah?" Her voice was small even to her own ears.

"You- it was a cave, and Alec was there and-" Simon raised an eyebrow. "He smashed a wine bottle?"

Isabelle laughed. "Yeah. He did."

She'd tried to sound casual, but she knew how ecstatic her voice was. Simon was remembering! Magnus had said he would, but Isabelle had lost faith once the first few months rolled around with only questions of how he got his Praetor Lupus pendant.

They resumed their splash-fight, and Isabelle noticed, once again, how he had started to bulk up over the last few months, with all his shadowhunter training. He wasn't that big- certainly not Jace or Alec's size, but Isabelle found herself missing the old Simon- scrawny and beautiful.

Actually, she corrected herself, he wasn't scrawny, and he was handsome. That was what you said when describing boys, right?

Simon pushed down his desire every time he saw Isabelle, but it was getting to be a little tiring. She was wearing her ruby pendant, and Simon felt himself almost reaching out for it at occasions, but stopping himself mid-air.

As they were sitting at a table, having lunch: a very mundane-style pizza, six cokes and a mango, Simon caught himself staring at her pendant again. She had taken it off momentarily to re-do he hair.

It was so beautiful, Simon thought it was glowing. No- wait, Simon thought. He looked at it again, closely. It was, in fact, glowing. Pulsing, on and off.

He interrupted Isabelle's conversation with Clary. "Izzy! Your pendant!" He gestured wildly.

Isabelle looked down. She saw it, the gentle pulsing of her pendant, telling her to run. Or fight.

Everyone else had registered this too, apart from Simon, who was looking very confused.

Isabelle lowered her voice and leaned in. "It senses nearby demonic presences. This means there's a demon here, right now. Probably Eidolon, disguised as a mundane, but maybe something else, hiding."

"Well, we're not exactly geared up, are we?" Jace whispered, eyeing Clary's green bikini.

Clary blushed. "We could alert the other shadowhunters. And we do have clothes."

"Not weapons." Jace shook his head, apparently not liking having to sit there while a possible fight lurked somewhere. "But let's call Maryse."

Clary pulled her phone out, trying to make it sound like she was calling her Mom and changing times rather than calling a shadowhunter and alerting them of demons.

Clary twirled her hair around her fingers, hoping to look like a normal teenager. "Hey. It's Clary." She said after Maryse picked up on the third ring.

Maryse, apparently understanding Clary's need to sound casual said, "Hello, Clary. Making changes in times?"

Clary heard that familiar strain in Mayse's voice, and knew she was wondering if her children were safe. Clary whispered, "Isabelle's pendant is pulsing. We don't have gear or weapons, so we need backup. But in disguise. This is a water park, and fully-geared shadowhunters bearing weapons is going to look suspicious."

"Okay. I'll send some over. In disguise." Maryse mumbled, worrying about her children, especially since she had seen Isabelle take her bikini.

Jace yawned. "I'm tired, Clary."

Clary took the hint. "Let's get changed and go home then, honey."

Everyone got up to go to the change rooms, and on their way, Jace turned to Clary.

"Honey?" He raised an eyebrow and stifled a laugh.

Clary glared.

Isabelle, followed by Clary, entered the girl's change rooms. They got changed, and Isabelle laughed at Clary's expression when she wondered aloud whether Alec and Magnus would share a cubicle. She had just been trying to ease the tension, and Clary had laughed a bit too hard too.

Once they exited, they were met with Simon, Jace, Alec and Magnus, who had a smart remark about how much time they took that died on his lips as they saw a slithering tentacle reaching up to touch Clary, followed by a hiss:

"We are coming. You won't be prepared this time, little nephilim!"

It was stabbed in the back by Maryse.