Road trip

The van lurched forward suddenly, throwing Isabelle and Simon into each other's arms. They pulled away awkwardly.

"Are you sure Magnus knows how to drive?" Simon asked, a hint of panic in his voice.

Alec shook his head glumly just as Magnus said, "Of course I do. It's just that the stupid mundanes won't get off the road for my grand procession!"

Jace sighed. "Where are we going anyway?"

"I told you, we're going on a road trip!" Magnus beeped the horn loudly, earning a few dirty looks from the people around them.

"But where on a road trip?" Jace said exasperatedly.

"A road trip is on the road, Jace." Clary explained.

"So we're camping out on the road? That might be problematic."

It was Clary's turn to sigh. "We keep on moving, stopping at certain places to rest."

"That's boring. Very mundane."

Simon rolled his eyes. This would be a long trip, if only for two nights.

"Where are we staying tonight?" Isabelle asked.

Simon smiled. "It's still a surprise. You'll find out soon enough."

Isabelle frowned. "I want to know now."

The surprise, organised by Clary and Simon, was only a few hours away, when they would arrive and finally be able to take a break from the road. Simon regretted putting Magnus in front of the wheel. But him and Simon were the only ones who knew how to drive.

Isabelle played with the small bracelet on her wrist; she seemed to be nervous. She was also wearing rose perfume, Simon noticed. He couldn't help but smile.

"Why are you smiling?" Isabelle asked. "Nothing's good about Magnus' driving."

"You're wearing perfume."

Isabelle blushed. She was wearing it, and had the bottle in her bag. The scent reminded her of Simon; she remembered wearing it with him.

Hesitantly, she reached inside her bag. "I have something for you."

Simon watched her pull out a Luke Skywalker figurine. A collector's edition.

Her gasped. "Izzy! Where did you get this? It's a collector's!"

Isabelle did a tiny smirk. "Magnus chipped in..."

"Thankyou." Simon said, watching Isabelle fiddle with the lightsaber attached. "I'll make a Star Wars nerd out of you yet!"

Isabelle jerked away, pretending to be disgusted. Simon laughed.

The next two hours where spent playing with Luke Skywalker and singing along with Fancy just to annoy everyone, and when the van finally stopped at a random patch of grass in the middle of nowhere, Magnus called out, "If you two love birds are done flirting there's a magnificent view. Almost as good as me."

Simon, blushing, helped Isabelle out and stood next to her as they took it in. The sun was setting, and a few birds flew overhead. It was beautiful.

"Simon." Isabelle breathed. Jace had a similar reaction.

Isabelle shivered; Simon wrapped an arm around her to keep warm. His eyes widened as he realised what he was doing. Isabelle didn't seem to mind, though.

"Someone help me unload!" Clary called out from the van. Jace immediately rushed to help her, the others reluctant to leave the view.

Soon eveyone was carrying a suitcase, sleeping bag and a tent, and they all followed Clary to the spot she chose. Isabelle was struggling with three suitcases.

Simon helped her carry them without a word, knowing he would have all hell to pay for if he asked why she took three suitcases.

When they finally arrived, Isabelle dropped the suitcases, pretending not to be utterly exhausted. They set up three tents; that was all they could find at the institute, and Simon realised with horror that, assuming Magnus and Alec and Jace and Clary shared their respective tents, he and Isabelle would be together in one.

It wasn't that he didn't want to sleep with Isabelle- he realised how that sounded. It wasn't that he didn't want to share a tent, he corrected, with Isabelle, but it was bound to cause awkwardness on a whole new level.

Isabelle hadn't seemed to realise this yet, and he decided not to tell her.

After putting in their sleeping bags and suitcases, they attempted at a campfire, following the hard to read instructions on the small plate next to it, they sat around and ate the marshmallows that Clary had brought. Very traditional, Simon noticed, though he knew that to the shadowhunters this was a new concept.

Soon it was Jace flirting with Clary, Magnus flirting with Alec and Simon and Isabelle sitting in an awkward silence.

Isabelle made a face at something Jace said to Clary."They're disgusting."

Simon smiled at her dry remark. "I'm hoping they don't share a tent."

"Alec and Magnus too. And then..." Her face screwed up in confusion. "Who looked for the tents back at the institute? Conveniently, there's only three... that son a- Jace! Why are there only three tents?"

Jace said a silent prayer that Isabelle would not kill him. He jabbed a finger at Clary. "Her idea!"

Clary glared at him.

Simon decided to save her, and placed a hand gently on Isabelle's arm. "Izzy, it's okay. I can sleep outside."

Isabelle shook her head. "Doesn't matter."

There was an awkward silence, and Simon realised that they were the only ones at the camp. "There's no-one else here."

"I booked the place out." Magnus said with a smile.

Clary glanced down at her watch. "Alright, I'm off to bed."

Jace followed her, all adoring and sweet, and Alec and Magnus said goodnight and entered their tents.

Now it was only Isabelle and Simon. The were silent after a few attempts at conversation. A relaxed silence, one that you don't want to break.

After gazing at the stars for some time, Isabelle made her way to the tent, and Simon followed.

She slipped into her sleeping bag, trying not to stare while Simon did the same.

They said goodnight and pretended not to be totally unable to relax with the knowledge that they were sleeping right next to each other, and if they just moved their hands and inch or so they would be touching.

Or course, when Isabelle did fall asleep, he reached out and held her hand.