Chapter 12

The music in the club thumped and the loud buzzing of people talking filled the building. Gold and silver decorations were hung around with a big banner that said 'Happy New Year' with balloons around it. Chris was there with a bunch of his friends who were already on the dance floor or were around the table in the corner with their drinks.

"Is she coming?" Scott asked his brother as he came up to stand next to Chris who was waiting at the bar for his drink but had noticed Chris pulling out his phone to check it often throughout the evening.

"She told me earlier today she was but she was supposed to be here an hour ago," Chris kept staring at his messages. "I texted her but she didn't text back which is unlike her."

"Was the boyfriend going to come?" Scott wanted to know.

He saw his brother roll his eyes before saying, "I don't know. He wasn't, but then she said he maybe was, but I'm not sure. I sure as hell hope he doesn't come."

The bartender came over and handed Chris his drink and got one going for Scott. As they waited, Chris leaned his thick forearms against the bar and took a sip of his drink. Scott sat at the stool next to Chris and asked him, "What happened after you told her how you felt the other day? Were things weird between you guys?"

"Honestly not really," He shrugged his broad shoulders, staring down at his glass. "I mean, I don't think she was really surprised."

"Well it's pretty obvious that she likes you, bro. I mean, I already thought so but after seeing you guys together on Christmas it was so obvious. Ma, Carly and Shanna all said to me at different points that if someone didn't know they would have thought you guys were a couple," Scott was honest.

Chris' wide shoulders slumped as he let out a sigh and then took another drink, beginning to feel the tingle of the alcohol in his system, "I just don't get why she's with that guy. I mean, obviously I want to be with her but putting that aside, that guy treats her like shit and Mia never even fucking talks about him. She is the most passionate and exuberant person who even fucking will talk about a tree she saw for a half hour going on about how beautiful it was and the lines in the tree or the bird that was in the branches but she won't mention her boyfriend. Mia just is so damn...."

"Likeable," Scott finished for him, agreeing with how charismatic the dark haired woman was.

Another long sigh came out of Chris before he downed the rest of his drink. His heart absolutely ached for Mia. He longed for her from the bottom of his heart. He wanted to sit and listen to her go on and on about some random wistful thought she had about leaves or the color of the sky or whatever random shit she felt passionate about that day. He wanted to sit and watch her paint, seeing the happy dimpled smile on her face. He wanted to argue with her over who was a better football team and laugh about the quirky interactions she had with a particular student in one of her art classes at the rec center. He wanted to watch her be completely immersed and play with his nephews and niece. He wanted to hold her and kiss her and listen to her cute upturned inflection and the bottom line was he just wanted her so badly it hurt.

"So you were wondering if Mia was coming?" Scotty asked, breaking him out of his reverie.

"Is she here?" He quickly stood and his blue eyes searched the crowded club.

"I'm guessing she's not coming," His brother filled him in before motioning toward the door.

Chris looked over and saw a very unhappy looking Daniel coming right toward him. His brow was furrowed and mouth twisted into a frown as he took long strides to cross the floor. He approached Chris who casually greeted him with, "Hey man, where's Mia."

"I told her we were staying in tonight," Daniel's voice was firm.

Chris chuckled humorlessly as he picked up his next drink and took a sip, "So why aren't you with her?"

"I'm on my way there now but I came here first to tell you to back the hell off," He crossed his arms in front of his chest.

"You are aware that Mia's allowed to have friends, right?" He rolled his eyes.

Daniel leaned in closer and spat, "Look Evans, you may think that because you're a big shot movie star that you can do whatever you want. You may have Mia fooled but we both know the truth."

"We're just friends," Chris was honest, shrugging his shoulders, turning his body back and leaned against the bar.

Before he could pick up his drink, Daniel gave his shoulder a shove before he got in Chris' face and hissed, "We both know that's bullshit so don't even try it. Look, just back off before you regret it."

Scott, who was standing on the other side of his brother watching the scene play out, wanted to laugh when he saw Chris roll his eyes before asking, "Are you trying to threaten me?" Chris couldn't believe this guy was for real.

"She's mine and I'm going to keep her away from you," Daniel narrowed his gaze at him.

Chris, never one to have a temper, just shrugged, "Pretty sure that's up to Mia."

"Just leave her alone," He demanded before turning on his heel and storming out.

A group of Chris' buddies saw what happened and gave him a quizzical look from the dance floor. Chris waved it off though and turned back towards the bar to pick up his glass as Scotty shook his head from beside his brother.

"Wow, that guy is a dick," Scotty chuckled. "Mia is so amazing, what is she doing with a guy like that?"

Chris shook his head before downing the rest of his drink to try to help numb some of the dull ache in his heart before he answered his brother.

"I have absolutely no idea."