Chapter 20

It was just barely starting to get light out when Mia's eyes fluttered open. She let out a yawn while stretching her arms, rolling over to look at the clock but grunted when she saw it said that it was only six in the morning. Instantly she just snuggled back down in the blankets, ready to go back to sleep but she found out what had woken her in the first place.

"Why in the world is Chris calling me?" Mia muttered to herself, seeing his contact picture on his phone.

Last night had been the Endgame premiere and she figured she probably wouldn't hear from him until tonight, assuming he'd have gone for drinks afterward and been exhausted and would probably sleep most of the day. When her groggy brain thought further though, she realized it was only three in the morning in California and figured he probably was just getting back to his hotel.

"Hi babe," She yawned once she clicked the green button.

"Did I wake you?" His low voice instantly asked.

Mia just laughed, laying her head back on her pillow, "Of course you did, I would never be up at this hour all on my own! But I don't mind because then I get to talk to you." She let out another little yawn before asking, "So tell me everything. How did it go?"

"I think you should go open your door first," Chris' voice told her.

Her eyebrows wrinkled up in confusion before she tossed the blankets off of her and asked him, "Shut up, you did not get someone to deliver me flowers at this time of the morning!"

Mia kept on rambling as she made her way to the door but when she opened it, she was met with a sight she didn't expect. Standing there in his comfortable hoody, messy hair, and the sweetest smile was Chris.

Almost instantly, she dropped her phone and practically lept into his arms. Chris wildly laughed as he spun her around and held her tight against him. He could barely wait to carry her inside her apartment and he closed the door behind them before putting both hands on her face and kissing her so deeply that she practically saw stars when they parted.

"What in the world? How are you even here? I'm so confused!" Mia ran a hand through her shiny messy hair.

Chris led her over to the couch, sitting her down before he told her, "I was thinking a lot yesterday at the premiere and I just had to come talk to you in person. So last night once the premiere and the afterparty was over, I got on a plane and came straight here."

Mia was so touched by his grand gesture and she picked up his hand, pressing her lips to it before cradling it against her chest while asking him, "But why?"

"Well," He took a deep breath. "Yesterday was such a big day for me. It was the culmination of so much and I was standing on the red carpet and all I thought about was how much I wanted you there with me."

"I know, but I thought we decided it was too early to go public with our relationship?" She was confused.

Chris just shook his head while his blue eyes gazed right at her, "That's the thing though Mia, I looked at my whole family that was there with me but it didn't feel right. It wasn't right without you there. It made me realize that I don't want anything without you... I want to marry you Mia."

She wasn't sure if she was delusional or if it was just because her brain was still waking up, but she swore that she didn't hear him right and asked him, "Wait... what?"

He reached out to rest a hand on her cheek and said with so much sincerity and emotion, "I want to marry you Mia. I know this may seem like a spur of the moment decision but it's not. I've been thinking about it for a long time and there's nothing in life that I want more."

As Mia heard and processed these words, tears started streaming down her face. She felt like her heart was going to explode from so much emotion but she listened as Chris went on, "Look Mia, I know you broke off your engagement with Daniel recently so you probably aren't ready for this and that's fine. But I just want you to know that if you ever want to marry me... I have a ring for you."

"Are you serious?" She was almost afraid to ask, wondering if this maybe was a dream.

His blue eyes twinkled while he dug into his back pocket, pulling out a black velvet box that he flipped open to show a gorgeous ring. It was simple and classic, yet shiny and beautiful which Chris thought was a perfect ring for Mia as it mirrored all the things he felt about her. Mia looked at it, letting her fingertips gently touch it to help her take in this moment and know it was real.

Chris watched as she did so and told her, "It's yours... whenever you want it. I don't mind waiting."

She took a deep breath before her eyes flickered up to his and she asked softly, "What if I tell you that I want it now?"

Mia watched his eyes grow wide as tears filled them and he put a hand on his heart while asking her, "You serious?"

"Yes," She nodded while crying profusely. "I've never loved anyone the way I love you, Chris. I feel like everything changed when I met you and I know that I'm going to love you forever. So if you're asking me if I want to start my life with you now and marry you, then I don't have to think about it. The answer is yes."

In an instant, Mia was being tackled back onto the couch in a giant embrace while her face was barroged with kisses and the tears spilling from Chris' eyes. She laughed through her tears while holding onto him and letting him dote her with affection.

"I," he stopped to kiss her lips. "Love you," Another kiss to her lips, "So fucking much," He told her in one big breath before crashing their lips together.

Mia clung to him, tears still falling down her face while they passionately kissed, unable to even fully express the depths of their joy and love to one another. Everything in that moment was perfect and beautiful and natural.

"I can't believe this is happening," Chris told her before he started bouncing around like a joyful puppy dog. "Let's fly back to LA and tell my family!"

The pair quickly buzzed around the apartment, throwing some clothes in a backpack for Mia and stopping to kiss and hug each other in the process. They got everything ready before rushing out to Chris' car but before they climbed in, he stopped her.

"Wait... I haven't put this on you yet," He started while showing her the ring.

Mia beamed from the inside out while holding her left hand out to him. He took her hand while going to slip the ring on but before he did, he looked down at her and asked, "Are you sure, Mia? Do you want to think about it?"

All she did was shake her head.

"I've never been more certain of anything in my life."