The Dress

A long sigh came out of Chris as he looked across the table and said, "This is a really important moment in our relationship."

"I don't care if you start crying, you're not changing my mind," Was the plain response he got back from his fiance.

Chris shook his head, "I'm not going to be easy on you. Everything is coming out right now. I'm going to lay it all on the line."

From the side of the garage came a loud groan as Scotty told them, "Will you just serve the damn ping pong ball already?"

They both just laughed before Mia showed him the ball, her eyebrow cocking while she said, "Get ready to have your ass handed to you, Evans."

"In your dreams," Chris chuckled while flipping the paddle in his hands. "Loser has to give the winner a foot massage."

"No, no, when I win you have to clean all my paint trays for me," She told him.

Chris rolled his eyes saying, "No, it has to be something bigger.... Hey how about the winner has the marry the loser."

Mia playfully tapped the paddle to her chin, pretending to think before taunting him, "Nah, because that would mean even if I win, then I still lose!"

Hearing this made him drop his paddle and take off running towards her as he tried to hide his smile. Mia screamed and took off running but Chris easily caught up with her and threw his thick arms around her, lifting Mia off of her feet and playfully shook her while saying, "Marrying me would make you a loser huh? You better take that back or you're in for it."

Mia just burst with laughter that was mixed with her playful squeals as she tried to wiggle out of Chris' arms as he started to tickle her side. They were so engrossed in their moment that they barely noticed that Lisa had driven up with Chris' sisters until they got out of the car.

"Do I want to know what's going on?" Lisa wondered aloud.

"Well we were having a ping pong tournament until Chris and Mia just decided to flirt to a disgustingly hardcore level," Scott muttered, not even taking his eyes off of his phone, but Mia heard what he said and it earned him a ping pong ball being thrown at his head.

Lisa couldn't help but snicker before saying, "Well you guys will have to finish later because we're taking Mia wedding dress shopping."

"Okay great, I'll go get my shoes," Chris teased before Mia smacked his chest.

He wrapped his arms loosely around her waist, pulling her close and leaning down to kiss her lips sweetly before telling her, "I'm glad I don't have to wait too long to see what you'll look like in your wedding dress. I don't think I'd be able to stand it if I did."

"Okay, you're not supposed to make me cry before I try dresses on," She laughed while blinking back her tears.

Chris brought his hands up to cup her cheeks, looking deep into the sensitive artist's eyes and told her, "I mean it Mia. You are going to be the most beautiful bride and I'm lucky to get to have you as my wife."

A single tear rolled down her cheek while she reached up and brought one of Chris' big hands to her mouth, kissing his palm before cradling his hand close to her heart and told him, "I love you Chris."

"I love you too," He smiled before kissing her. "Now go have fun and don't let my Ma and sisters talk you into anything!"

"We heard that!" Carly shouted from the open window of the car while Mia just cracked up as she climbed into the backseat.

It didn't take too long until the four women were at the dress boutique and the attendant had put Mia in dress after dress but they still hadn't found the perfect one yet. It was getting to the point where all of them started to look the same and Mia was just about to suggest they come back another day when a knock came at the door.

"Mia! We found one that we think you might like," Shanna's voice called out from the other side as the attendant was just unbuttoning a dress.

"It looks just like you," Carly added in as they opened the door and Lisa hung the dress up on the rack.

"It really does," Lisa agreed while going to head back out of the room before looking at Mia's reflection in the mirror and smiled, "It's beautiful just like you."

Mia felt her heart warming from Lisa's words before the employee helped her on with the dress and buttoned it up in the back. As Mia looked at her reflection, she smiled and realized how perfect it was. It was a beautiful ivory color with beaded caped sleeves and a v neck. There was a beaded overlay on the flowy top that came in tight at her waist before flowing back out for the skirt. It was casual and simple but still unique and beautiful. As she stood looking in the mirror, tears began flowing freely from her eyes but it wasn't from seeing the dress.

Seeing her emotion, the attendant opened the door to the private room and went outside to tell the family they should go in. The Evans women went inside the room and instantly all were hugging Mia while they fought off their own tears.

"Honey, you look beautiful! This is the perfect dress," Lisa gushed.

"That's not what's making me cry, I mean it is but..." Mia trailed off while she looked at each of them saying, "I never thought this would be me. I never thought I'd be marrying a wonderful man like Chris and have a mother-in-law and sisters-in-law that I love so much. I never thought I'd get to have a family and I'm just so happy I get to be part of yours."

Hearing her feelings made each of the women cry unabashedly and Lisa put her hands on Mia's tear stained cheeks, firmly telling her, "We couldn't ask for a more perfect person for Chris and I want you to know Mia, that you are my daughter whether you like it or not!"

The comment made Mia laugh through her tears while she squeezed Lisa tightly and the sisters quickly joined in. Mia just stood there, basking in their embrace as she felt so full of joy, accepting that this actually was her life and it was better than any dream she could have ever imagined.