Man's Worst Friend (shapeshifter x reader)

(shapeshifter x reader)

Thank you @Communismismywifu for the suggestion!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You can't help the unbelievable nerves that inch up your legs, feet glued to the ground as you listen to the snarling coming from the alley to your left. It truly was a horror movie scene, street lamp flickering as you edge into the opening, peering around a very large trash bin to look at the dark street you need to take as a short cut to get back to the correct road where your apartment building is. You know you could just go around and not tread down one of the creepiest, smelliest allies on earth, but it would take another 10 minutes and it was already nippy and threatening to rain. Stealing the nerve to move towards the clanging and snarling to investigate the odd noises. Coming around the corner of one of the larger trash bins belonging to the next door apartment you spy a sad sight.

A rather large, very muddy, grey dog was yanking on his chain that was caught on one of the handles of the bin and attached to a painful looking collar around its neck. Immediately your eyes soften at the sight, though it was large, the creature was pitiful looking with dried blood on some one of its paws that he seemed to not be able to quite set on the ground and wild looking blue eyes that were absolutely desperate. Its body, though massive, was matted with dried mud and so skinny you could see his hip bones protruding from beneath the thick fur, you could have also seen his ribs if it weren't for how thick and long the fur was. 

Having noticed you the dog immediately shrunk back against the bin, letting out a low whine with his tail suddenly between his legs and ears laid flat, white rimming his eyes with terror. Murmuring soft condolences you slowly reach forward, ready to pull away quickly if it decided to attack or try to bite your hand. Slowly and steadily you untangled the thick chain from the handle, lowering it to the ground before reaching towards the dog to try and take off the collar. That was a mistake. Lashing out the dog snarled, biting deep into your hand as you let out a strangled yell, trying to fight back the excruciating pain to help the poor animal. Reaching forward with your other hand you felt around the collar quickly, finding a thick latch that you quickly undo and the metal collar fell to the ground with a loud clank. The dog slowly released your hand, extracting pearly whites from the flesh that now bled profusely, stinging mightily as you fall back on your butt, the animal approaching you slowly, threateningly. His ears forward and tail erect as you try not to tremble. It only then occurred to you how feral the dog probably was and that it could very easily consider you to be food rather than a friend. However, as you clenched your fists and screwed your eyes shut expecting a bite somewhere else, all you felt was a very hot and dry nose nudging your own and placing a disgustingly slobbery kiss all the way up your cheek. 

Opening your eyes you look around in surprise, the dog having disappeared without a trace as you shakily stand, looking around and expecting to see the thing ready to attack and devour you only to see no living creature. Cradling your injured hand you stand using the brick wall behind your, cursing yourself for even considering helping such a large and dangerous animal without even considering what it would do to you. You didn't curse yourself too much though with the warm fuzzy feeling of having done something good for an injured creature.

Finally arriving at your apartment building you feel something odd, the creepy feeling of something or someone watching you. Looking around behind you you notice a cat, it seemed white but with splotches of dark grey and black, but the mud that caked its long and matted fur made it look almost a poopy brown colour. A frown stretches across your face at the sight, two animals in one day? How odd, you thought as the large tom came towards you slowly, very cautious as you crouch down slowly, trying to be as non-threatening as possible as it sniffed your outstretched, uninjured hand with curiosity. "Would you want to come in with me kitty? I promise I won't hurt you, I just wanna help ok?" You coo softly, rubbing your fingers together to call it to you as it let out a little meow and soft pur, rubbing against your hand gently and allowing you to scratch it just behind the ear and under the chin. You can't help but smile now, maybe your luck was turning with animals for the day, still though, you couldn't shake the feeling that something was off, two animals in the span of only a few minutes? It was very odd, you thought, finally opening the door to your apartment and allowing the poor kitty to run inside before you close the door behind you. 

"I'm so tired" You groan, stretching as you roll your neck trying to get out the ache that was raging in those muscles as you go to lay down on your bed just to relax a bit before getting ready for bed. You stop, a scowl appearing your face at the sight of the rather dirty stray now sitting on your bed, staring at you intently with bright blue eyes. A huff escapes your lips and you place your hands on your hips, staring at it with a frown. But before you could do anything, you would have to give the cat a bath, and you were not looking forward to doing that.  

About an hour or so later you were wrapping your arms in light gauze, covering up the skin deep scratches from some very angry claws as the cat simply stared at you with its unblinking eyes, its fur now a snowy white with a splash of grey right across its little pink nose and fur escaping its ears that stood erect catching any sound around it. Despite the flesh wounds you couldn't regret giving the poor thing a bath, it was skin and bones, but somehow it was still the largest and heaviest cat you had ever met. Sighing you flop down on your bed, turning on your side to turn off the light, your eyes connect with the cat's directly and as it blinks slowly, closing its eyes at you. You can't help but smile, remembering somewhere that you had read that when a cat closes its eyes around you it means that it trusts and loves you. You turn the nob and the light goes out as you slip under the covers and into a dreamless sleep.

You slowly open your eyes, blinking steadily as you try to register what exactly is going on, it isn't light, your alarm isn't going off for work, you can't exactly tell what is happening as you try to reach for the lamp to turn it on so you can get up, believing you most likely only need to go to the bathroom or some such as you turn on the light only to freeze at the sight before you. A man stands there, his hair long and pale, tied back on top of his head and only wrapped in one of your robes that hardly falls to past his mid thigh and not tied very well.

"What the hell! Who are you! Get out of my house!" You scream, grabbing a pillow and chucking it quickly at the male. You hadn't even seen him move as he catches the pillow casually, looking at it before letting it fall to the ground with a soft thump.

"But you let me in, you saved me? Don't you want me here?" He asked, for such a large man his voice was surprisingly soft, and his face was so confused, childish even as his hands curled and uncurled into fists as if he had no idea what to do with himself.

"I most certainly did not let you in my house! Why would I want you here!" You yell back, grabbing another pillow to chuck directly at his head and reaching for your phone with the other hand to dial 911.

"But you saved me! You gave me a bath! You gave me delicious fish!" The male complained, sounding more and more like a child as he moved closer, now touching the bed as you back away to the other edge. 

"What the hell are you talking about! I saved a dog! And I gave a cat a bath! Not you!" You squeal, suddenly falling backwards off the bed and onto your flat back, scrambling back to your feet as quickly as possible trying to find the phone you had left precariously close to the stranger. But it is gone, you look at him again only to see the phone directly in his face before a steely glare came over it and in a split second he chucked it across the room before it hit the wall, shattering on impact. 

"That was me master, and I am in eternal debt to you. As man's best friend I will serve you, and stay by your side for the your of your life, you have improved mine, and I will serve yours." He said, his eyes turning to slits as he finally meets you on the other side of the bed, your heart dropping as you realize, you are in your own cage now, as he traps you between the wall and his arms, throwing away the key to your freedom.

(I am so sorry this is so late! I didn't mean for it to be! I got distracted and had to actually do stuff! I'm sorry!)