Chapter 13: Our Story Lived On

 Jack’s POV- 

 I ran after Hector as he hurried topside, stumbling as I walked. 

 “I’m having a thought her, Barbossa,” I started, “What say we run up a flag of truce? I scurry over to the Interceptor, and I negotiate the return of your medallion, eh? What say you to that?” I asked, trying my best to be as persuasive as I usually was, but Dylana was on my mind, and that caused me not to think like myself I believe. 

 “Now you see Jack, that’s exactly the attitude that lose you The Pearl. People are easy to search when they’re dead.” Hector responded, and I felt the disappointment in my lungs. 

 “Lock him in the brig.” Hector demanded to Bo’sun, before the brute of a guy grabbed me by the arm. I would have resisted, but Dylana was in the brig as well, giving me the perfect opportunity to talk to her. Finally. 

 Dylana’s POV-

 I stood alone in the brig, ankles deep in water, standing with my hands through the bars and my face pressed against one of the spaces between the rusted bars. I could faintly see outside the ship through a hole in the wall, and a few more holes that were towards the bottom of the wall, causing a horrible leak. 

 I jumped from shock when I heard the door to the brig open and someone coming down the stairs. I quickly backed away from the bars and backed towards the hole in the wall, my knees getting splashed with water with every step. 

 “Apparently there’s a leak.” I heard Jack say almost sarcastically, just before he came into view. I could feel an involuntary smile spread across my face as Jack tried to make Bo’sun laugh. Obviously, he failed. 

 Bo’sun quickly opened the door to my cell and threw Jack in violently, causing him to fall to his knees into the water. “Jack!” I shouted as I grabbed his arm and helped him back to his feet. 

 When he was successfully standing, I looked him in the eye for about 0.2 seconds before he put his arms around me and pulled me to his chest. I was extremely shocked at first, but I finally set my head on his chest and wrapped my arms around his back, despite the fact that he was now soaked from the water on the floor. 

 I could hear his heart, beating a million times faster than any normal person’s usually would. I felt so small and helpless in his arms, but also insanely protected. His was my dad. Not some random sailor, or pirate, but MY father. The father that I had gone my entire life without meeting. Until about three days ago. And even then, I hadn’t felt like his daughter. Until this exact moment, I thought he would hate me forever. 

 Reluctantly, I pulled away from the hug and stepped back, almost embarrassed. Jack looked at me with a look I didn’t quite know what to call. 

 “Dylana... I didn’t know. I didn’t think that-.. I..” he started, obviously trying his best at an apology. I nodded and smiled, looking down at the ground. 

 “I know. I know. But...” I said, stopping in the middle of my sentence, not wanting to finish. “But what?” he asked, looking at me with concern. 

 “Why did you hate me so much?” I said quietly, looking at my feet. 

 He said nothing.

 I looked up at him, and he was still just staring at me. “Jack?” I asked, trying to get him out of the strange trance that he was in. 

 “You look so much like your mother. I don’t know how I didn’t notice it before. You have her eyes.” he said, taking a step closer to me. I wasn’t amused. “Jack. You didn’t answer me.” I demanded. 

 “I didn’t hate you. I just didn’t think that you... I didn’t think you were a good fit for my crew. But if you’re anything like your parents-” he smiled and teased, “then you’re a better fit than anyone I could ever imagine.” 

 I smiled, even though it wasn’t the answer I was looking for. I backed up and leaned against the rocking wall of the ship, the water rising ever so slowly around our ankles. “What was mother like before she left you?”. 

 He cocked his head, looking at me with a confused look. “Why? Has she changed? Where is she now?” he asked, and I felt my heart drop. I had forgotten to tell him that she passed away. He thought she was still alive. I could feel a lump in my throat, feeling guilty that I had withheld this information. But for the record, we hadn’t talked about it at all. I simply told him that Annabel was my mother and... that was it... 

 “Jack... She’s gone...” I said quietly, not wanting to break the news to him. As soon as I said it, he seemed to understand. 

 He stared down at the ground with a hazy look on his face. “What happened?” he asked, with a hint of anger in his voice. 

 “She got sick... She was happy in the end though, don’t worry.. She told me about you just before she passed...” I said, tears beginning to swell in my eyes. Jack simply began to nod slowly, clenching his teeth and looking up. I knew this method, he was trying not to show emotion or cry. I had done this millions of times. He forced a smile onto his face, and finally looked back down at me. 

 “Well at least our story did not die with her.” he said, locking eyes with me. 

 “Aye..” I smiled, just before turning to look out the hole in the ship. “Oy! That’s our ship!” I shouted, gesturing for Jack to come look. 

 “Nay, THIS is my ship. That is our crew. There’s quite the difference, love.” he said, staring out the hole. Before we knew what was happening, the whole ship shook and the sound of cannon fire echoed through the air. I suppose that was the end of as much of a heart-to-heart conversation at we’ll ever have. We were both knocked to the ground and against the cell door, splashing into the water on the floor helplessly.