3

Regina stalked down the sidewalk, shivering in her damp, coffee-stained sweater. Hands hiding in her sleeves, she wrapped her arms around herself, eyes welling up with more and more tears. They fell like raindrops leaving trails on clear glass. She didn't bother to wipe them, even though their wet trail only left her face more cold. Sobs wracked her chest. She tried her best to ignore them.

She walked and walked, in a stained sweatshirt. She walked without purpose, without aim. She knew she should be inside somewhere, anywhere that was warm. She knew she should be at home, in her bathtub, laying in her own DIY sauna as her wet clothes ran round in the washing machine.

Home was two buses and a ten minute walk away from here. It took her almost 45 minutes to get here, and she was sure it would take a lot longer to get back. That was just how time worked - against you in the most wretched of situations.

Regina debated calling a cab, wondering if she had enough money with her to pay the ride.

She stood there for a long moment, facing the road, every inch of showing skin flushed from the cold. Her bag was caught over her shoulder, her arms folded tightly across her chest. She was stuck in a continuous shudder, tears pooling in her eyes and overflowing onto her face, like the crash of angry waves against a bed of rocks. She stood there, sobs wracking her as she tried to get ahold of them.

She nearly gave in to the urge to collapse right there on the damp, cold sidewalk, instead curling in on herself where she could hug her knees and hide her face from the world.

A car drove past, causing puddle water to fly in front of her. A few drops hit her face and she staggered to her feet, belching a cry.

Grabbing control of herself, Regina stood up, purposefully. She dropped her arms from their guarded position. She wiped her eyes, her cold, moist face, and looked up. Chin up. Eyes wide.

I will not be broken, she told herself. Not today.

Not by Jandro.

Not by that asshole in the coffee shop.

No.

I will not be broken.

She turned around and entered the convenience store just behind her.