22

She didn't know how it happened, but suddenly he was right in front of her - as in, right in front of her - his mouth inches from hers. He only allowed her a second to gasp before he closed the distance between them.

He was kissing her. And she was kissing him right back.

Together, it felt right. Righter than anything she remembered. His lips were soft against hers, a mold to shape her. Soon, everything about him was warm and tender. His hands cradled her face, smoothing down her shoulders and sliding to hug her waist. Her fingers were suddenly tight in his hair, ruffled and unruly. She moved a hand across his ear, caressing his cheek with her palm. She opened her eyes softly, and he was staring at her. He looked half-awake, full-hungry.

They didn't stop.

They didn't stop until they had to, when they heard the disorienting sound of a bus rumbling to a stop behind them.

Thomas pulled away, still staring into Regina's eyes. She felt lightheaded, but never more real. He glanced over his shoulder and she followed his gaze: Bus Nine.

"That's mine," he said.

Reluctance hit her like a forty-pound punching bag, "Oh," she muttered. "Okay."

He took a step away, out of her embrace, taking his warmth with him. She felt the autumn cold instantly, shivering against it. But she found that all she had to do was stare into Thomas's eyes - his warm, warm eyes, pale brown, lime-coloured - and the cold washed away with her love.

She almost laughed out loud. Love.

Regina, taking another chance on love. Of course, she thought skeptically. She glanced back up at Thomas, her expression shifting. Of course.

They exchanged numbers.