19

His light, brown hair fell over his eyes as he glanced at the floor. He looked cold, his hands in his pockets like that. It was, indefinitely, more cold now, as the sun was starting to set. The sky was turning a deep blue. But somehow, Regina felt like she had never felt warmer.

"Well. I guess I'll see you then," she piped out, finally, when what she really wanted to say was will I see you again? Having met Thomas in the first place felt like ... an anomaly, on her part. Maybe, someone was meant to crash into her and spill her drink on herself. Maybe she was supposed to be left feeling broken and empty, just so she could pick herself up again. Maybe, Thomas's reason in her life was fulfilled the moment she stormed out of that coffee shop.

A part of her felt like she was never supposed to have another conversation with Thomas, much less start to fall in love with him.

The word felt like a hard slap across the face.

Love.

What was love anymore? What was love, but the excuse to be gullible and naive? Or, the excuse to feel happy, just once, again? What was love, but the illusion that you were perfect for someone, and someone was perfect for you? Keyword: illusion.

Regina had "loved" Jandro.

It had gotten her nowhere.

Heavy with this last thought, Regina looked back up into Thomas's face, into the blinding cold of reality, and told herself this was going nowhere too. It would be a mistake to try and fall in love again.