Chapter 14 (Peter)

The next morning, I wake up to feel an unfamiliar warmth beside me. I turn my head to see what the cause is and I find Catherine curled up next to me. The events of the previous day come flooding back to me and I chuckle.

Yes, I'd say she's warmed up to me.

I watch her silently as she sleeps. Her face looks so peaceful as she dreams of who knows what. Her chest softly rises and falls as she breaths and her dark hair is splayed across the pillow. Her left hand is lying delicately on my chest and I smile. She's looks so beautiful when she sleeps that I can't help myself. I slowly lean towards her face with every intention of placing a kiss on her soft red lips.

Just as I'm about an inch from her face, her eyes flutter open. She yawns and when she sees me hovering over her, she smiles.

"Good morning, Peter," she whispers shyly.

My breath catches and I can barely get the words out. "Mornin' love," I rasp and she giggles.

It's such a sweet sound, almost like the soft tinkling of bells. I lean in once more, but her hand on my chest stops me. I look into her eyes and see that they've grown wider. I catch a small flicker of nervousness within.

"No," is all she says to me.

"Why?" I ask quietly. "It's just a kiss."

After a long agonizing wait, she finally replies, "Because I don't want to hurt you." Tears have gathered in her eyes and I quickly pull her to my chest.

"Don't worry, love. You could never hurt me," I whisper to her while stroking her hair soothingly.

"But that's where your wrong, Peter," she says, shaking slightly.

"Cat, listen to me," I say pulling back far enough to be able to look her in the eyes. "You could never hurt me more than you are right now."

"I'm sorry," she says looking at me, the pain prevalent in her eyes.

I can't stand seeing her like this, so with a sigh, I say, "Alright, I'll wait how ever long I need to for you."

Relief fills her features and I pull her back into a tight embrace. "I'm sorry, Catherine. I promise not to push you anymore."

"Thank you," she murmurs quietly into my ear.

"Anything for you, love," I whisper to her.

-----------

That night, Catherine comes into my tent with me again. I'm glad to have her here with me so that I can keep an eye on her. I watch her silently while she slowly brushes her hair. Yes, I could get used to having a girl like her around.

She sees me watching her and flashes me a beautiful smile that lights up her entire face. I grin back and walk over to sit beside her.

"So, how is our very first Lost Girl doing this evening?" I ask wrapping my arms around her.

She stiffens when I finish my question and her smile fades away.

"What's wrong, love? Don't you want to be a Lost Girl?" I ask her worriedly.

"Oh no. It's not that, Peter," she says turning away from me.

"Then what is it?" I ask, gently taking hold of her chin and having her face towards me.

She sighs. "It's nothing, Peter. I'm just worrying over nothing," she says plastering a fake smile on her face that I see right through. Before I ask her to tell me what is actually bothering her, I remember the promise I made that morning about not pushing her and remain silent.